aircon units question

A builder friend of mine insists that certain makes of aircon units use less electricity than others. I understood that any given brand of the same BTU would use the same elec in daytime use. Are there really more efficient brands ? He says that a York 18000 btu machine will use less than a LG 18000 btu. Could that be true?

Reply to
-keevill-

SEER factor for overall energy efficency. most companies sell a variety of SEER efficencys. years ago a 8 was very good. Now I hear 12 is norm, up to 20 for a super high efficency unit.

the higher the seer the more the energy savings, but upfront cost can be brutal. super high seer might be worth it in southern florida, but marginal at best in maine, where the number of AC days is low.

its always good to check the energy labels on appliances

Reply to
hallerb

wrote

If you are talking about split systems:

12 SEER is obsolete. You may find a few brands out there that still have some 10 and 12 SEER units, but once they are gone, that's it.13 is the required minimum now. Carrier and some other manufacturers actually have 21 SEER models.
Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab