Air tool dust cover for inlet?

I've recently accumulated a few used or cheap air tools and have cobbed protective covers for their air inlets from pieces of tubing.

But I just bought a Porter Cable framing nailer & it came with a handy dust cover-

Porter Cable SKU is 884443 ]

I was going to order a half dozen from toolpartsdirect. I winced a bit at $1.40 each - but when it was going to be $9.00 to ship them I decided there had to be a better plan.

I can't seem to find them anywhere else. Is there a common name for them that I am unfamiliar with?

[also- since I'm looking- how about the female connectors? I've been using a male connector plugged with caulk to protect them- is there a better method? I'm plagued with some tiny mud dauber wasps in my garage so I need to keep all little round holes secure at all times.]

thanks Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Golf tees work just fine. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

just don't worry about it. Throw 'em in the drawer and forget it.

Steve Barker LT

ya, 'till they break off when you throw them in the drawer.

Steve Barker LT

Try a caulk tube sock or a strip of duct tape.

-- Oren

Oren

on 10/1/2007 1:32 PM Jim Elbrecht said the following:

All my air tools are stored with the air hose adapter attached, whether male or female. If you do the same, go to the store and buy a pack of BIC ball point pens (the cheap stick ones with no mechanical parts). Take the black caps off and use them. They are a pressure fit on the air adapters.

Reply to
willshak

Thanks all-- I like the bic pen caps and the 'nozzle socks' ideas. [I suspect I'd break golf tees off- unless there are rubber ones out there]

[Steve- note the end of my post. I have mud daubers in my garage & they find things in drawers and fill them. I must cover all little holes.]

Amazon has the nozzle socks under 'nozzle cap' -

$7.98 for 35--- but they want $7.28 shipping to NY- so screw 'em.

Guess I'll go buy some pens. [With coupling in hand, btw- I've got about 100 pens within my reach here at my chair. Maybe a dozen have caps. . . not one fits.]

Thanks Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Jim,

Here's another possibility: go to

and search on "cap plugs". They have several products that might do the job.

Reply to
Eric

They have several products that might do the

Smacking myself. Mcmaster is usually my first stop. I didn't like their "cap plugs' - but then I tried 'nozzle caps'.

7526A11 Looks like the same 'Little red caps' that sell for $8 on Amazon.

$4.75 at Mcmaster and I'm guessing their shipping will be less than $5. [I'm not even going to ask them- I've dealt with them enough to not worry. I'll post it when I get their invoice.

Oh crap-- after placing that order I found these-

5248K36 "Quick-Disconnect Hose Coupling Cap & Plug" Exactly what I've been looking for.

$8 for 5- I'll let you know how they work.

Thanks Eric, for waking me up.

Jim [BTW- mcmaster.com plug follows; I ordered the second type- then thought I should combine orders so I wasn't paying too much for shipping. I hate the phone, but I called the number. Got a real person- Jessica- on the second ring. No voice mail. no crap. Took less than 2 minutes and Jessica combined the orders. Life is good- and so is mcmaster.com.]

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

They have several products that might do the

-snip-

-snip-

They arrived today- 25 hours aint bad, I'm about 300 miles from them.

Shipping was $4.75. I like the little red caps for quick covers for a variety of things. [they go on and off like little condoms- are reusable and look fairly durable.]

The 'Coupling cap and plug' is a good permanent solution, though. There is a retainer that keeps them attached to the tool or hose when the tool is being used. Look real durable.

Again- thanks all for your thoughts. Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

The youngest don't get it. Read the fine print. I've posted, before - condoms are pre tested! Yawn..

-- Oren

Oren

replying to Jim Elbrecht, JohnG wrote: I'm in the same boat, google searching turned up your post. Argh...

Reply to
JohnG

replying to Jim Elbrecht, Daniel Scott wrote: I love little red caps for sealing caulking tubes, but I tried them on air tools, and the oil on the fittings (plus any that runs back out the inlet if you turn the tool over) reacts with the rubber caps and turns them into sticky goo. I don't recommend little red caps for air tools now :/

Reply to
Daniel Scott

replying to Jim Elbrecht, Albator wrote: Thanks a lot! Here?s a summary:

- for the tool (male) side: 5248K65

- for the hose (female) side: 5248K75

- for general use, stretchable: 7526A11

Thanks to y?all and to McMaster. Pascal.

Reply to
Albator

The cheapest and lowest profile way I have found is using plastic car tire valve covers. Good snug fit and do not catch on anything for storage.

Reply to
csantee