Air sealing at base of 2nd story dormer (behind roof apron)

Hi.=20 I've a cape cod house (in New York) with a shed dormer on the upper floor, = very similar to the diagram here =20

I know that the roof's steeper-pitched areas need to be vented from the sof= fit on the 1st floor, through to the ridge vent. But... my question is what should I do for insulation in the remaining roof= below the dormer, identified as the "apron" on this diagram (highlighted w= ith red arrows)? I've exposed from the inside and can see there is only fib= erglass bat insulation pushed up against the roof deck and even into the so= ffit. There are no soffit vents in this section, yet it certainly does leak= air (soffit and facia are 1"x6" nailed together and you can see daylight b= etween the cracks). Should I air seal the soffit and fascia in this area, i= solate it from the vented portion of the roof, and hope for the best? It's = on the north side of the house, so I'm not really worried about heat gain.

All comments greatly appreciated!!=20 thanks=20 Theodore.

Reply to
millinghill

very similar to the diagram here

on the 1st floor, through to the ridge vent.

below the dormer, identified as the "apron" on this diagram (highlighted with red arrows)? I've exposed from the inside and can see there is only fiberglass bat insulation pushed up against the roof deck and even into the soffit. There are no soffit vents in this section, yet it certainly does leak air (soffit and facia are 1"x6" nailed together and you can see daylight between the cracks). Should I air seal the soffit and fascia in this area, isolate it from the vented portion of the roof, and hope for the best? It's on the north side of the house, so I'm not really worried about heat gain.

Hi, Easiest maybe spray foam. Or dense Styrofoam panels.

Reply to
Tony Hwang