Air sampling fixture

Page 1 of 2
I need a (cosmetic) cover for a wall/ceiling mounted "air sampling station".
In a sense, this is similar to what a smoke detector does (i.e., a smoke detector "samples the air" for signs of smoke) so I started looking at those for ideas.
But, I don't want anything that resembles a smoke detector too much lest it be thought of *as* a smoke detector (leading to a false sense of security). So, I've been looking for more visually distinct "enclosures"/covers. For example:
<
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/17/Smoke_detector,_Russia.JPG
<
http://www.ontariooregon.org/images/Fire/smokedetector.gif
<
http://image.dhgate.com/albu_398144475_00-1.0x0/ufo-wifi-camera-security-photoelectric-cordless.jpg

The first looks like it would be the best choice as it *least* resembles a smoke detector (at least in the US!)
Any other suggestions as to similar devices that I might want to consider?
Maybe the enclosure from a small stereo speaker ?
On Sunday, November 8, 2015 at 7:51:24 AM UTC-5, Retired wrote:

I think the concern about it resembling a smoke detector is largely irrelevant. If it does, so what? In buildings you see a variety of gizmos on the ceiling. Make sure you have the required smoke detectors and what the air sampler looks like doesn't matter.
On 11/8/2015 5:51 AM, Retired wrote:

I think that would tend to be large -- even for a "small" speaker.
The advantage/appeal of a smoke detector "case"/cover is that they seem to be designed to be as unobtrusive as possible -- folks don't really want to *notice* the smoke detectors in their homes, etc.
Along that same line of reasoning, I've seen some *indoor* PIr detectors for alarm systems that "try to be unobtrusive" (same rationale: folks don't want to *see* the stuff that comprises their alarm system) that might be usable in wall-mount scenarios.

Or make it look like an air outlet like used in some central air conditioning systems?
On 11/8/2015 11:24 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I'd like to build on a standard round Jbox (for ceiling mounts) or a 4" square (for wall mounts). This gives me a place to stuff "bits" as well as a scheme that would be familiar to installers.
On Sun, 08 Nov 2015 12:51:56 -0700, Don Y

Get your hands on a Maiko TK of the appropriate size and see how it is made. I believe the plastic bits come off of the metal bits quite easily, and you could very easily make it fit on a JBox
On 11/8/2015 5:18 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I'd like not to have to go into business making "covers". So, would prefer to find something that can easily be repurposed (and, if part of someone else's product, just approach them to buy that component from them directly)
On Sun, 08 Nov 2015 20:38:51 -0700, Don Y

Check with Maico (or a similar manufacturer) if, after checking their product for useable parts, you find it could be useable. Often you can buy the shole thing for way less than the cost of the parts and just drill out a few rivets or spotwelds, or cut off a part with a band-saw and have what you need.
On 11/9/2015 6:23 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

As I said, I'd not like to have to go into business making covers. Making two or three (or even ten) "by hand" as a "one time deal" is not a problem. What *is* a problem is having to make hundreds at a time -- and having to do so for "the foreseeable future".
It's much easier to find someone who is already using a "component" (cover) that is suited to my needs and then approach them to just "add X units" to their next purchase (as most folks don't do their own injection molding but, rather, contract that out to a "supplier").
The downside (for this "someone") is that they have to deal with my added needs, billing me, separating "my" part of the shipment from *theirs*, etc. So, they should expect to make a bit of money on the transaction.
The upside for them is they look like a bigger customer to *their* supplier and don't have any real "obligations" to me (as their customer) beyond just passing along the items.
The upside to me is I can get the benefits of hard tooling without having to incur that cost. And, avoid even soft-tooling costs as well!
The downside to me is I'm captive to a particular "supplier" -- who may opt to redesign that product (or, this *part* of that product) and leave me stuck looking for an alternative supplier.
OTOH, I can always take a sample piece of the cover (with or without their consent) and create tooling from it. It's not like they'll have any (legal) protections against that (assuming I don't incorporate any patented features or any corporate logos).
[But, then I'm back with the tooling costs to address]

Would a fake security camera dome strike your fancy?

On 11/8/2015 6:08 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

The third URL, above, is exactly that -- though masquerading as a smoke detector.
But, I think most cameras tend to be larger (at least all of mine are). And, like my original desire NOT to have this be mistaken for a smoke detector, I think being mistaken for a *camera* might be even more unsettling. What would you do if you walked into someone's bathroom and saw something that *looked* like a camera affixed to the ceiling (or wall)?
:-/

The bathroom thing completely slipped by me. You've already thought about exhaust fan covers. Something from an automotive ventilation system maybe? My Ford company pickup has vents about 4" in diameter.

On 11/8/2015 6:10 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Yeah, you have to think real hard about *all* aspects of a problem instead of just taking the easy/obvious route to a solution! :-/
[Many years ago, I designed a medical instrument whose full, lengthy name abbreviated to "PID". Apparently, bad choice: "Pelvic Inflammatory Disease". So, we had to change the name so it didn't conjure up the wrong impressions in the market we were addressing!]

The smoke detector is the ideal "model" for what I'm after. In a sense, it "samples air". It is intended to be unobtrusive. Can be encountered on a wall or a ceiling. Typically mates to a standard Jbox.
I just need something that's very similar -- without being "the same" (hence the "russian" unit I mentioned... unlikely any US homes or businesses will ever encounter one of *those*!)
On 11/08/2015 04:21 AM, Don Y wrote:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_234-41698-104800R___
On 11/8/2015 6:25 AM, Shirley U. Jest wrote:

Ooo! That's pretty! But, probably *large* (sticks off the "mounting surface" too far). I have Lowe's on the list for today so I will see if they have one to examine.

What i envision is something like a "disk valve" ventilation outlet like in this page http://www.maico-fans.com/index.php?id=g6014&L=1 from Maico.
On 11/8/2015 11:27 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Hmmm... this would "look different" so fits that bill. But, while it *seems* very low profile, there's actually a lot of cruft hidden up behind it. I assume it is intended to fit in a round conduit?
I could probably remove the "insides" but don't know if that wouldn't leave me with a bigger problem to solve...
On Sun, 08 Nov 2015 12:50:11 -0700, Don Y

Would not be hard to make a housing like that - if you hace any volume at all. Could be as simple as vacuum forming snd cutting with an xacto knife.
On Sun, 08 Nov 2015 02:21:24 -0700, Don Y

Look at small - loosely woven - wicker baskets.