Air leak from furnace

I happened to walk around the far side of our Lennox furnace while it was running today and noticed a cool draught. On closer investigation I found two holes in the side a little more than 1/8" in diameter from which cold air was blowing out.
There are several screws in that particular panel, and where the main part of the furnace connects to the part above it all the joins and unused screw holes are sealed with what looks like silicone caulk. Yet here are these other two unsealed holes from which cold air is blowing.
Does it seem likely that these holes should have been sealed too? Should there be cold air escaping from the furnace?
Perce

This is Turtle.
If your running cooling mode on your furnace and you feel cold air coming out from the area above the furnace. i would seal them up with duct tape or caulking. No air should be coming out of any part of left or right side of the furnace and also the back side at all. Seal them up.
TURTLE
On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 00:15:42 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"

NO, there should be no holes. Maybe there was an electrical box on there or something in the past.
You can use a hi-temp silicone on them (like the red stuff made for automotive use), or it might be easier to just put sheet metal screws in them, or small nit and bolt if you can get your hand inside to put the nut on the bolt.
(if you use the silicone, let it dry before turning on the furnace or it will blow out. Screws are probably easier.

Was it a pint of Guiness??!!!
I LOVE a cool draught after a hard day's work!
;-]

metal duct tape will fix the problem
On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 00:15:42 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"

The next time you see that cold coming out of those holes, point your finger at it and yell, "Get the hell back in there!" That should do it. Bubba