Air in supply pipe

Does anybody know how air could get in hot water piping? I had a detached shop built, with 1" plastic pipe from the main house to the shop. 3/4 & 1/2 copper feeds the Water Heater, sink and toilet. The first time I open the hot faucet each day, it discharges air for a few seconds. I have no problem with the cold water, nor with either hot or cold in the house. Thanks!

Reply to
Labonn

It may not be air, but hydrogen.

Google around a bit, you'll likely find an explanation of what chemical reaction causes hydrogen gas to appear in water heaters and piping, I've forgotten the specific details.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

It is probably hydrogen and oxygen. I suspect that the stoichiometry is exactly right for an exciting recombination if a match were placed at the faucet.

RB

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Reply to
RB