Air in supply pipe

Does anybody know how air could get in hot water piping? I had a detached shop built, with 1" plastic pipe from the main house to the shop. 3/4 & 1/2 copper feeds the Water Heater, sink and toilet. The first time I open the hot faucet each day, it discharges air for a few seconds. I have no problem with the cold water, nor with either hot or cold in the house. Thanks!
Labonn wrote:

It may not be air, but hydrogen.
Google around a bit, you'll likely find an explanation of what chemical reaction causes hydrogen gas to appear in water heaters and piping, I've forgotten the specific details.
Jeff
--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

It is probably hydrogen and oxygen. I suspect that the stoichiometry is exactly right for an exciting recombination if a match were placed at the faucet.
RB