air in pipes

I am having difficulty with what I believe is air in my pipes. I hear a very long and loud groan often, and from almost any tap. It is getting more frequent and loud and actaully will occur when we are not even using a tap i.e. during the night. Right now it is happening while we do the laundry. Any ideas on how to stop it?

Reply to
mckenna7204

if you're hearing a long and loud groan even when not using the water at nite, you'd best be looking somewhere's besides the plumbing.

S. Barker

Long shot, but a groan or fog-horn noise may be from a toilet ballcock. One brand in particular would create vibrations like that as it attempts to close.

To find out: shut off the supply valve(s) to toilets and see if the groan still occurs.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Could be a very slow leak draining down so the valve opens a bit during the night too. I think you may have the answer.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

looks like the toilet was the culprit. It was difficlut to determine which one it was, but it seems to have helped. Thanks all.

Reply to
mckenna7204

I had a Fluidmaster toilet valve that would do that. It didn't leak, but would make an ungodly racket when you flushed the toilet. After I shut the water off to the house to do repairs elsewhere it got so loud that I finally broke down and bought a new one, et voila problem solved. I guess a piece of crud must have been stuck in it somewhere and was vibrating back and forth as the water flowed through it.

nate

Reply to
N8N

At one of my houses, I have ONE valve when left open will screech and moan and make ungodly noises like Cathy, an old girlfriend of mine. But that's another story.

Noises like you describe are water running through a slightly open valve. It is an indication of a leak, a faucet or hose bib that is slightly open, a toilet filler that is cycling because of a bad flapper, lots of things. You've probably heard it many times when opening and closing valves/faucets.

Most of these things are in a position where they just cause aggravation. But if it's in a place where a leak is making a difference and damaging, then it needs to be found. Do a pressure test on your house, and I'll bet you a double Wendy's burger you have a slight loss somewhere. After that, finding it is the fun part. Try different things. Try turning off your sprinklers for a day and see if that's it.

It can be caused also by auto pool fillers, sprinkling systems, and anything that uses water.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I had a Fluidmaster toilet valve that would do that. It didn't leak, but would make an ungodly racket when you flushed the toilet. After I shut the water off to the house to do repairs elsewhere it got so loud that I finally broke down and bought a new one, et voila problem solved. I guess a piece of crud must have been stuck in it somewhere and was vibrating back and forth as the water flowed through it.

nate

Those floating type water shutoffs have a cleanout feature few people know about. You turn off the water (duh) crank the top 1/4 turn, set the mechanism to the side, put a cup over the water outlet, turn the water on and off a couple of times, wipe your finger around the top rubber seals, and that will stop a lot of running on. It's in the instructions. (That white paper that comes in the box.) I have changed at least a dozen of those, and FINALLY read the instructions on how to clean them out.

It's a male thing.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB