Air in my forced hot water baseboard heating system

The system is noisy and the base boards dont have bleeders. Its a 2 zone system with water valves and spickets on each zone. What is the best way to bleed?

Reply to
TomB

Put air pockets and air vents on the return end (leaving water end) of the baseboard. this way the flow of water carries the air with it. Also make the return end slightly high, so the air naturally goes to that end. Bleed the baseboard once in a while till you stop getting air.

Getting the air out with spigots is a tough way to do it, will seldom get all of the air out and wastes a lot of heated water. Once you install the vents, you can use them every season.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

Can you take a couple of pictures, post them to a web photo site and then post the link?

There are a lot of systems out there and several ways to bleed them. We need to see the setup.

Or you can call a hydronics tech.

Reply to
HeatMan

Our two zone system gurgled and bleeding each spigot only slightly helped. Maybe if you bleed everyday until all air is eliminated might work.

All these systems have a cussion tank. I would think that the tank should be about 3/4 air (just a guess). The tank should take out some of the air.

I had to replace a pump. There were cut off valves so I would not have had to drain the system to replace the pump. But I drained the whole system. I even opened the cussion tank upper valve to drain it. One zone does not have bleeders and I cut off the other zone and flushed it until NO air surging showed exiting the attached drain hose. Knock-Wood, no noise for the last three years. LESSON: It really pays to check the oil in the pumps!

Reply to
rdglide03-dbasedos

Sounds similar to my setup. I open the spigot a bit and as the water circulates the air will release. It can easily take 10 minutes or so to get all the air pushed through.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If the spigots are very near the top of the radiating assemblies then how about putting a garden hose on them to raise the drain level further? That'd let you add to the system until it flowed out of the now-higher drain point. If you just open the spigot and it's at the same level as the radiating tubes then you probably won't get all the air out of the system. Find the highest point in the zones and drain from that spigot. Otherwise have a bleeder installed.

Reply to
wkearney99

On my 1st floor closed zone, only way to drain or bleed is in the basement. Pipes knocked, air swoosed in pipes until I drained the zone and blead until clear bubbless stream came out. Quiet as a feather dropping for 2yrs now. "KNOCK WOOD".

Reply to
rdglide03-dbasedos

On my 1st floor closed zone, only way to drain or bleed is in the basement. Pipes knocked, air swoosed in pipes until I drained the zone and blead until clear bubbless stream came out. Quiet as a feather dropping for 2yrs now. "KNOCK WOOD".

Reply to
rdglide03-dbasedos

Might need a new air eliminator.

Reply to