Air Handler cost - reasonable? (LONG)

Hi -
Have not posed in quite a while. Our home is 6 years old. We have dual zone Heat pump / central air units in the home.
The upstairs unit went out last week. We got home and the temp was 92 degrees upstairs. The downstairs unit works fine.
We had our a/c service person come out and look at the unit. They determined there was a leak in the coil unit (I do believe him on this, as it needed to be recharged several times this past year). Due to EPA stuff, they will not recharge it now, knowing there is a major leak.
The units are Carrier, which I thought was a good name. Anyway, they are 6 years old, and had a 5 year warranty (figures, huh? >:-( )
We have 2 options: 1) Replace the coil unit, at a cost of $1000 complete. 2) Replace the air handler unit at a cost of $1675 complete.
Does this sound like a fair price? I don't know the brand or size of the replacement air handler, but it is said to me much more efficient than what we currently have, and they can fit it to all the ducting we already have in the house, which is a plus.
The coil unit would have a 1 year warranty, where the air handler would be another 5 year warranty.
I am leaning toward the whole assembly for the efficiency and warranty.
Opinions? Thoughts?
Thank you in advance.
Chris
Chris M (SilverUnicorn) wrote:

The price is OK and yes replace the total air handler it will pay in the long run.
You also might look into getting a UV light and a good air filtering system with the new air handler.
--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician
Chris M (SilverUnicorn) wrote:

Why did this one fail so early? I'd be asking some serious questions. Are these the same folks that installed the initial system? Had there been any physical damage to the system for some reason that breached it during construction or later?
I'd be at least somewhat concerned that the earlier installation indicates the original installation wasn't up to par with cleanliness and evacuation. I'd be somewhat concerned that replacing the air handler will fix that problem but the external unit and the refrigerant lines are still possibly contaminated...
On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 08:28:28 -0400, "Chris M \\(SilverUnicorn\\)"

I just had a blower motor go bad on a 10 tear old Trane TWE (variable speed AH). I got similar numbers. The guy also offered me a regular motor for $280 installed (total bill) so I went that way.
Chris M (SilverUnicorn) writes:

http://www.google.com/search?q=formicary+corrosion+evaporator
They are lying to you about EPA rules and leaks..
Either they are trying to cheat you or they are just stupid.
So dump them, they are dumb or crooks or liars.
On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 08:28:28 -0400, "Chris M \\(SilverUnicorn\\)"

How's that?
I was told they could be fined if they kept recharging a system with a known leak. The charge they out in would only last about 6 hours, the leak was so bad.
Can you not get fined for that?
Made sense when he said it. This is someone I trust. He is in my Fire Company and has been doing HVAC for 16 years. I just wanted opinions on whether to go with the whole unit ot just the coil.
Thank you for all the replies.
Chris

Chris M (SilverUnicorn) wrote:

The EPA rules really pertain to a system that holds 50lb. or more of refrigerant and then you can only leak out so much refrigerant during the year.
In your case it is just does not make sense to keep charging the system because of the cost.
In the long run replace the total equipment in the attic.
--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician

Does it have a variable speed blower motor? (for the price, I highly doubt it)
So the 21% is complete bullshit. They're talking about SEER, and that requires a complete system change out.