air gap valves

I know codes dictate if you need one, we do not need one in our area. However, after reading about them, I would feel better if we had one.

Do you need to mount it up by the faucet? Alternatives?

Thanks!

Reply to
Gomba

Sorry, this is for a dishwasher. :)

Reply to
Gomba

No, only needs to be higher than the sink water will ever get. Does your sink have a hole for an air gap? Usually filled by a decorative plug.

Also the inlet and outlet ports on the air gap are different sizes. Outlet is larger so it should always be able to handle the outflow from your dishwasher.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

After looking what Oren posted, and further searching, I believe maybe I pushed the panic button.

It will be hooked to a garbage disposal, waste for dishwasher will be looped high to the disposal. To answer your question, the sink is not in yet. It is going to be an under mount Blanco, to granite top.

Figure if the water gets higher than my sink, I'm in trouble anyways. An air gap would just let the water flow into an overflowing sink!

Reply to
Gomba

I think your new analysis is correct. I've never bothered with an air gap and have never had a problem in decades of use. I just do the high loop method, where the dishwasher hose gets routed up as high as possible, to the underside of the counter.

Reply to
trader4