Air Force One

I thought Air Force One was a 747. Last week when the president went to Vermont, he landed in a different plane (which WAS marked the same as the 747s). This appeared to be a smaller plane. How many versions of Air Force One are there?
---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire (44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')
On Sun, 1 Apr 2012 20:05:17 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (---MIKE---) wrote:

Whatever airplane, if the President is on it, its call sign is "AirForce-One". If he's not onboard, it's call sign reverts to its normal ID (tail number?). If the President is on a Marine helicopter, its call sign is, similarly, Marine-One, no matter what the particular hardware is.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (---MIKE---) wrote:

Technically any AF plane the POTUS is on is AF One. They still have the old 707s floating around. That is what Clinton always took when he went to St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands because the airport couldn't take the 747s. That may have happened in Vt.
On 4/1/2012 8:33 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

The "main" 707, SAM 27000 used for 28 years is on display at the Reagan library:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJHxnhleswY

The other 707, SAM 26000 is in the Air Force museum at Wright-Patterson.

A change I missed since the days of Clinton (and I did say "may"). Thanks. It has been probably 10 years since my last Wright-Pat run. Maybe it is time I went over.
On Sun, 1 Apr 2012 20:05:17 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (---MIKE---) wrote:

I forgot to mention... I assume you're talking about AF-1 landing in Burlington (can't imagine a real airplane landing anywhere else in Vermont ;-). While BTV has a serious runway, the last time one of the "AF-1" (Clinton on-board) 747s flew into BTV they had to take off with less fuel than normal. It's an Air National Guard base, as well as a civilian airport but F-16s don't need much runway. ;-)
On 4/1/2012 7:28 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

When President Bush landed on the carrier, was he flying in Navy One? ^_^
TDD
On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 20:14:54 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Yes On 1 May 2003, President George W. Bush flew in the co-pilot seat of a VS-35 S-3 Viking from NAS North Island, California to USS Abraham Lincoln off the California coast, where Bush delivered his "Mission Accomplished" speech. During the flight, the aircraft used the callsign of "Navy One" for the first time.
On 4/1/2012 9:11 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If Bill Clinton ever flew in a Navy plane, it would be Tomcat One. ^_^
TDD
On Sun, 1 Apr 2012 20:05:17 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (---MIKE---) wrote:

As others mentioned, any place can be AF1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Force_One
During the Johnson Administration, the United States Air Force acquired a King Air which was designated as VC-6A.[32] The aircraft was used to transport President Johnson between Bergstrom Air Force Base and his family ranch near Johnson City, Texas,[33] and was used at least to transport the President to Princeton, New Jersey.[34] It was termed Lady Bird's airplane and was painted in a color scheme making it difficult to distinguish it from a civilian aircraft.[35] When the President was aboard the aircraft used the callsign Air Force One.[34] United Airlines is the only commercial airline to have operated Executive One, the designation given to a civilian flight on which the U.S. President is aboard. On 26 December 1973, President Richard Nixon and his family flew as commercial passengers from Washington Dulles to Los Angeles International Airport. His staff explained that this was done to conserve fuel by not having to fly the usual Boeing 707 Air Force aircraft.[36] In November 1999, President Bill Clinton flew from Ankara, Turkey, to Cengiz Topel Naval Air Station outside Izmit, Turkey, aboard a marked C-20C (Gulfstream III) using the call sign "Air Force One", escorted by three F-16s. On 8 March 2000, President Clinton flew to Pakistan aboard an unmarked Gulfstream III while another aircraft with the call sign "Air Force One" flew on the same route a few minutes later. This diversion was reported by several U.S. press outlets.[37][38][39] On 1 May 2003, President George W. Bush flew in the co-pilot seat of a VS-35 S-3 Viking from NAS North Island, California to USS Abraham Lincoln off the California coast, where Bush delivered his "Mission Accomplished" speech. During the flight, the aircraft used the callsign of "Navy One" for the first time. In May 2009, President Barack Obama took the first lady on a date to New York City in a Gulfstream C-37B.[40] On 16 July 2010, the First Family flew to Maine for vacation in a USAF Gulfstream III.[41]
On 4/1/2012 8:05 PM, ---MIKE--- wrote:

"Air Force One" is only the radio call sign designation for any Air Force aircraft the president is on. The main planes used to haul the president around are a pair of 747s that only become "Air Force One" when the president is aboard.
Same with other aircraft. When the president is on say the Marine helicopter used to transport him from the white house that flight becomes "Marine One".
On 4/1/2012 8:05 PM, ---MIKE--- wrote:

Smaller plane is Dog One used for the presidential dog.

You sure? I was always told that the call sign for the plane carrying the presidential dog was K-9
On 4/2/2012 9:23 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

My mistake.
On Sun, 1 Apr 2012 20:05:17 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (---MIKE---) wrote:

If you look at the google earth pictures of Andrews AFB you will see some of the other government planes (marked very similar to the presidential 747s) There are some C32s (757s) and a gulf stream or two. There used to be an air wing there (when I was around) that was nothing but planes for government big shots. I assume there still is.

Too bad you can't see numbers on top. Bing maps had different pictures with no 747s. Looked like two 747's on Google maps.