Air Filters for Smokers

Page 1 of 2
I've got some smokers in the rental house and want to add air filtering. I've got a small hepa type filter with an ionizer in temporarily. But since I am dealing with mostly smoke, I wonder if one of the electrostatic types would work just as well if not better.
Suggestions? Google is failing me here.
Jeff

http://www.pureairsystems.com/Pure-Air-Systems-IN-HPS-350_e01d.html
On 12/18/2010 3:03 PM, Molly Brown wrote:

This seems like a plan.
I'm aware of what it takes to rent to smokers and it is not a show stopper for me. In fact I anticipate the vast majority of my tenants will be at least light smokers. They will mostly step outside for a smoke (that is what smokers do), but not always.
This is, after all, a 14K house. I'm not going after the well heeled. Got a couple of gay waiters so far...
Jeff

Gee a 14k house, what an outhouse with a view. Sounds like a great Hood. I left off the "neighbor" because I bet there is little of that.

Well I had a rental for a good many years the lease stated clearly NO SMOKING. What a filthy dirty stinky disquisting habit.
I attracted tenants who didnt like smoke stink.
With about 25% still smoking:(
The non smokers were attracted to my rental home:(
You CANT wash the odor of smoke or urine out of walls floors etc, let alone air ducts and furnaces.
For soild surfaces first scrub well then prime with BIN or KILZ oil based primer, for floors coat with outdoor polyurethane, its smelly but wouldnt soften in moist weather. Have furnace guys clean and deodorize all ductwork.
Then paint everything normally toss all carpeting and pad.
incidently this is what the fire restoration people do after a home fire.
its costly and a ton of work but the only thing that truly works
On 12/19/2010 2:46 PM, ransley wrote:

You can turn your nose up, that's OK. What you say shades my opinion of yourself, seems like you don't care. Your choice.
It's a majority black neighborhood, but so is the whole city. The house is tight, wired in 10 gauge and almost all copper plumbing. Hardwood floors in good shape. Low e windows. Kohler kitchen sink, nearly new oak cabinets and GE stove. I've added a lot of closet storage. Sold for 145K in 2005. Working class neighborhood. I paid cash and drove a hard deal, the only way you can buy houses that cheap.
It's not a McMansion, but I have very happy tenants and clear about $600/month. Do the math.
Trying to buy another or two.
This type of investing isn't for everyone, but I can handle it. Probably not many could. I see a market that I can serve and an opportunity. I'm doing the best I can, it's not the conventional path. But I'm not conventional.
Jeff
On 12/19/2010 8:48 PM, Jeff Thies wrote:

If you can do a lot of the service and repairs yourself, you can come out ahead. I know a few building contractors who own rentals and the fact that they can maintain the homes themselves without breaking the bank makes a big difference. One contractor I knew was having a problem with a gas furnace in one of his rental units that he bought cheap. The place was in a flood plain and had been damaged by water. He repaired the water damage and rented the place out but it had problems with the horizontal gas furnace in the attic. I checked it out for him and found no problem but it still acted up. On a return trip, I decided to tear it down and find out what in the world was causing the malfunction. I found water in the gas valve and gas line, I also found that the gas meter was full of water from,..... wait for it,....the freaking flood! Nobody had thought to replace the darned gas meter after Noah's drive by! :-)
TDD

I've rather enjoyed fixing it up. It has been a good bit of scrounging and creativity. Lot of Hotel grade stuff, $40 Kohler sink, scavenged shutters and such. The house is very secure now, after I read the riot act to the criminal enterprise across the street. Let's just say that they are very respectful now!
One contractor I knew was having a problem

I was told I couldn't get DSL there, it turns out that there was no record of phone service. I'm having the phone turned on, getting DSL, and turning the phone back off.
+ ~2K: http://ajcexchange.com/3-Real-Estate/42-Rooms-Housing-to-Share/ads/769007/detail
I've got a friend living there subletting... I'm going to run it like that until I get everything done I want done.
Jeff

On Sat 18 Dec 2010 11:17:02p, Jeff Thies told us...

DOes that automatically make them smokers?

I never heard of a 14k house. It sounds like a hell hole. If anyone lit up the house would burst into flames immediately.

Pole smokers.
--
Steve Barker

I never rent to smokers, smoke trashes a home.

Er..not knowing your circumstances, i.e. how hard it is to replace tenants...I'd respectfully suggest -- unless they have an iron-clad lease -- you give them notice and find non-smokers. Better than bending yourself into a pretzel to accommodate them!
HB

Suggest they smoke outside, or their final damage deposit make have to be kept to do all the cleaning required. The $$ may help them to decide to smoke outside.
On Dec 18, 2:54pm, "Stormin Mormon"

When ive had to get smokers apartments ready it was double to tripple the work, and it still smells like smoke if you have forced air.
On 12/18/2010 1:13 PM, Jeff Thies wrote:

Suggestion??? Ya, no smoking in the house. That's my rule. Seems to work. One tenant even thanked me for helping him to quit because of the rule.
--
Steve Barker
On 12/18/2010 10:07 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

SMOKERS SUCK! :-)
TDD

Good idea, but it should be in the lease with penalties if they still smoke in the house. Many smokers "insist" on their "right to smoke" and will do it anyway. Many cannot smell the smoke odors in the house because they are used to it and their nasal passages are "burnt out", they think if they smoke near an open door or window or fan the smoke it will disappear and no one will be able to detect it.
Walt Disney World has a no smoking policy in their hotels along with a several hundred dollar fine for "cleaning" the room if one smokes in it.

Its easier than that, if they admit to smoking, the showing is over. Nobody will quit for your lease.
On 12/19/2010 1:49 PM, ransley wrote:

No, but they do sit on the porch. 83% of my renters smoke, but not in the house.
--
Steve Barker