Air Duct Cleaning?

Page 1 of 2
Has anyone ever hired an air duct cleaning service before? We had one come out to the house for a $75 dollar 'special'. Well the guy goes into the attic and says our vents are loaded with mold. He shows me a flexible piece of duct just off the furnace and says look at this, it's mold. We can clean it for you. Then gives us an estimate for $900. The stuff looked like normal dust and dirt - not mold. Does anyone here have any feedback from this type of 'service'. We are going to get a second opinion from another service. Any feedback would be appreciated... TIA -O

Yup....here is some feedback from someone that has been to all the mold classes we can take in regards to HVAC...
Run from that company and dont pay them a cent. Period.
Matter of fact, post who it was and who told you. That is a common scam. SCAM I tell you.
Here is how it works..
First, you need to mold sample to be taken and determined what it is...runs about $100 or less from a reputable AC company. The results will take about a wek to 25 days to get back. IF you have flex duct, you CAN NOT clean it. It will be torn to shreads and be worthless. IF and ONLY IF you have a real mold issue, then if it IS in the ducts, replace them, find the cause of the mold...either from a leak, or someplace in the home, and add a UV-C band lamp BEFORE the AC coil. Remember..mold needs three things
Water Food Lack of light.
You cant fix mold in a flex duct. You can dress it up to look pretty, but you cant leave it in place and fix it.
thanks, CB. i suspected as much. This was CMT Air Duct in Dallas, TX. i suspect they use their $75 dollar special as a lead-generator only. probably have never cleaned anyone's ducts for that price. i can have an a/c repair place take a sample? not sure how to proceed next...??? -O
message

This is Turtle.
Run and don't walk away from this company. your being scammed !
TURTLE

Why do you need to do anything? Does anyone exhibit flu like symptoms or anything else indicating possible mold toxicity. Is water leaking anywhere in your house? If your answer is no to any leaking or any ill feelings why would you want to test or clean? Bacteria and fungi (including mold) are everywhere and just about any dirt will test for those two biotics. Thousands (?hundreds of thousands?) of houses have never been tested or needed testing.
Ovid wrote:

There are legit outfits and there are crooks. The low ballers are usually crooks as you found out.

Know of any reputable ones in the DFW area???

I would look for one that advertises that it does commercial buildings.

This is Turtle.
Ovid, If you will put a good media filter in the system and wait 6 months , you will have a pretty clean duct system for all of the loose stuff will be loosen up and have came out. If it does not clean the system up in that time you have some duct leaks that is bring in trash or dust in to the duct work. If dust does not go into the duct system. you don't have nothing in there to clean out.
So fix all the leaks and get a good filter and you don't need a cleaning.
So if you keep the air system leaks and don't keep a good filter in it. You need to have it cleaned ever so often.
No Air Leaks + Good filter = No duct cleaning.
TURTLE
Ovid wrote:

rip you off... with the word of mold most homeowners are gonna panic.... and go for this: and the guy is gonna take and do a $100 job on the house and pocket the rest...... playing the odds he is gonna make money as enough people will fall for his pitch and for those that dont, well he made $75 for the scare, which was probably a $35 service charge..... i am sure the owner of the company could afford to pay a guy and put out trucks all day long with a potential to make $900 for a $100 job..
that's exactly what I thought. it stunk of scam. i just want someone to come out and clean the vents for god's sake. so many thieves out there... -O

Ovid wrote:

then make a big vacuum to attach to hose and do it myself, or rent the equipment???? seems pretty easy to do..... that all you have to do is get the dust, dirt out.....

Check this out.
http://www.epa.gov/iedweb00/pubs/airduct.html
As I remember from when I waded through it a year or so ago, it said 98% of houses do NOT need duct cleaning....

I usually think the people that spend money to clean their ducts also buy variable annuities. It's really a great thing for the seller.
Ovid writes:

You need this service like you need to have your headlights rotated.
Boob bait for suckers.

Actually, the whole reason I had them come out was to clean our dryer vent - there was a bird's nest in it (I saw the bird fly in the vent). We bought the house in March from owners who were quite neglectful so I thought why not get the whole package since everything else about the house was in a state of disrepair. However, I'm not a fool. I knew this guy was full of s---! All the comments in this group have confirmed this. Thanks, everyone!! -O PS I think I'll try that mold test from Lowe's. I hate the idea people can get away with this sort of thing!
Does that mean I'm unlikely to make a good living running my own Headlights Rotation R Us franchise?
--
Christopher A. Young
Join Alt-Hvac Moderated

the air in the tires, you'd have something.
Dave