Air deflector - Sofa covers a floor vent

I need to put a sofa in a place where it will cover a floor air vent. Obviously, I don't want hold and cold air blow into the sofa - the room will be too cold or too hot.

There are some air deflectors available but they are simply deflect the air at the right angle. Ideally I want a some sort of a vinyl pipe or a duct which would be no more than two inches high and would run from the air vent to the edge of the sofa, which is about two feet away.

Any ideas what I kind use or buy?

Thanks!

-Stan

Reply to
Stan

A suggestion: Stan; could you make something to spread/diffuse the air coming up through the vent. I assume the vent to be one of those typical six by twelve inch warm air heating louvres set into the floor? Also are there other duct louvres into the same room so that you could cut down the airflow through this one? Deflector could be something as simple as a homemade cardboard duct/box taped to the floor as a trial or a permanent thin plywood or metal box duct possibly held down by the sofa legs, one edge wedged under the baseboard moulding etc. Presumably the bigger it is to spread the air the 'softer' will be the air volume draft deflected away from peoples legs and, Umm; 'derrieres'! Maybe deflect the airflow up the wall and/or away side ways spreading the air from the small aperture over a much larger area. Presumably the 'modified duct hood' or whatever it might be called will be mainly hidden by the sofa? Unless sofa is one of those of very open design; so the deflector wouldn't have to be made very fancy? And could be quite wide even though only a couple of inches high? Maybe deflect air to both ends of the sofa; making the deflector light enough to pick up when sofa is occasionally moved, to vacuum? Light aluminium flashing? Lightweight panelling plywood? Might be suitable materials? Make it yourself or a sheet metal worker or carpenter could fabricate? Terry.

Reply to
Terry

Hopefully, some one else can point you in the right direction, but I do know they are available. I have seen them in some of those junk catalogs that we get in the mail on occasion.

In the mean time, have you tried a Google search? Using vent +deflector

+sofa brought up 431 results.
Reply to
Retiredff

They make extenders for just that purpose.

Can't find a link to one at the moment though. I've seen them in the "home accessories" mail order catalogs.

Brad

Reply to
Brad Bruce

I saw one at Ace or HD out of clear plastic. But you could make one out of cardbard

Reply to
m Ransley