Air Condtioner problem?

My air conditioner is a small 5000 btu Everstar it is in new condition but after a little while it starts seems like it runs a little hard and stops cooling as good. It sits in the window very level. When I turn it off it sounds like it's water logged. I thought A/C 's were supposed to sit at a slight backward angle? but this sits very level and does not seem to drain (drip) like most A/C's. I do not see any water dripping out. As the fan is turning it kicks water through the side air vents. If I try and tilt the A/C back it will not fit into the window properly. (it has slide cutains and screws to the open window frame) If I tilt it back the will not have anything to hold on to? Is the tilt the problem or something else? It seems to be designed to sit like it is. Any suggestions? Thank You -William (from Carolina Beach NC)

Reply to
William Hufham

Your AC unit gains efficiency as you probably know, by forcing cool condensate through the evaporator. If the evap unit on the back is clogged, then the symptoms you noted will occur. The fan driving the air/condensate might also be having a problem so check that it is up to speed and turning freely. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Level is fine. The condensor fan removes the water.

Remove the filter and observe the coil when it has stopped cooling and look for ice on the coils.

Reply to
Duff2

The hot coil on the back is called a condensor. The indoor cold coil is an evaporator.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The AC has a drain pan and there should be no water dripping. The fan has a "slinger ring" that picks up the water and throws it against the hot condenser coil to help it cool.

It is possible thee is a buildup of gunk in there someplace, an insect nest, or whatever. It is possible the evaporator coil (the one in the front) is not getting enough air flow, such as a dirty filter and the coil freezes up.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Oops, my mistake. The unit in the back is the condenser, coils in front are where evaporation for cooling takes place. Sorry.

Joe

Reply to
Joe