air conditoning

Page 2 of 2

I just intsalled the ac but I got an adapter for the ac the ac is plugged in to the adpater and all of my other products are plugged in to the surge protector.

I've seen the receptacles (or outlets. Sockets are really for lightbulbs, but at least they are female, so it's a better term than "plugs" that some people call them, believe it or not!)
But I don't think I've ever seen a room AC, or a portable AC with that kind of plug. Would he change the outlet to one with one T shaped slot when he could just tell the OP to buy one that is 15 amps or less?

So OP, let us know if the outlet he puts in has one straight slot and one T-shaped one, on its side.

While it is best to be on its own circuit it is possible to run a 10,000 Btu AC on a circuit that is only using a couple of lights. If there are other appliances, then no.

I agree. A 10,000 BTU a/c uses approx 10 amps. If you have a 20 amp circuit with light load, you could get away with it. If it was a 15 amp circuit, I'm not sure it would hold when the compressor initially starts up.
It's very possible a dedicated outlet already exists. Have someone turn off each breaker and see if anything else is on that outlet.
On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 22:23:07 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

In most cases in this world, even a person who is wrong has some decent reason for saying what he does. The most common problem is that people tend to exaggerate, to think their own experience and what they learned from it, valid in their case, applies everywhere.
The important thing is that you don't use fuses or circuit breakers that are too big for the wiring.
Then, if you are able to use an AC without exceeding the receptacle's wiring, and you don't trip the breaker too often, you're probably ok.
I don't remember how big 8000 btu is or how many amps it takes, but I doubt the small AC that I used for a while was that big. It was a real portable, which I could carry pretty easily with one arm, from its handle, and I only tried to AC a room that was 7 x 12 feet.
But it was big enough to cool that on a 15 amp circuit, in an apartment that had two 15-amp Fusestats (sp?), and a limit of 20 amps total, with a 20 amp Fustat in the basement. Of course the only other high use item I had was a refrigerator. Other than the computer and the clothes dryer and the sad electric stove, that's the only big thing I have now.

CJT wrote:

If you can move enough air through the Evaporator coil & through the other rooms back to the AC, you will be amazed at the area you can cool with a good 8,000-BTUH window AC. http://www.udarrell.com/airconditioner_current_temperature_btuh_charting.html
800-Sq.Ft. with a 6,000-BTUH @ 104 Heat Index. DISCLAIMER: I assume NO responsibility for the USE of any information I post on any of my Web pages, in E-Mails or News Groups. All HVAC/R work should always be done by a licensed Contractor & properly licensed Techs! This information is only placed on these pages primarily for your understanding & communication with contractors & techs. This information is also for the edification of Contractors and Techs. Never attempt anything that you are NOT competent to do in a SAFE manner! I am NOT liable for your screw-ups, you are liable for what you do! - udarrell.com - Darrell U.
- udarrell

What about celing fans they save alot more enegry.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Do you sell ceiling fans? I do not sell anything. Ceiling fans might save some on energy, depending on the particular application. A 20" Wind Machine is around $22.00, how much is the ceiling fan? I won't go into all the details of why I like the 20" portable fans, for cooling they work great for me. - udarrell
On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 15:38:09 -0000, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

Better than that are table fans or maybe window fans. Where do you live?

the 8,000 for 3 people may be too small to begin with, please first see: http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=roomac.pr_properly_sized second, the landlord may thrilled for you to hire his approved electrician to install a new circuit for 110v or 220v if needed depending on the air conditioner manual. it will all be at your expense including a permit, and per your lease, if allowed. you may need permission, and you may need more than one unit and outlet to do the job.

I guess that I will stick to my fan and keep the windows closed
On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 22:40:28 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

When I recommended a fan, above, I had in mind to keep some of the windows open, but it depends so much on the details, the floor plan, the available windows, the prevailing wind, how much the normal wind or breeze is, how often it is still out, how much the windows are shaded by trees or other buildings, the sources of heat including poorly insulated attics and how much cooking is done indoors during the summer. Even keeping the refrigerator door open a lot adds heat to the kitchen and thus the apartment, because the fridge has to run to cool off the inside again, and that puts out heat, more heat than the cool tthat the air from the fridge puts into the kitchen.
Sometimes the room is cooler just by keeping the windows shut, but sometimes either I can't take the closed in feeling (present with AC too, unless it's really hot otherwise) and sometimes I know tehre would be a breeze if I opened the window, especially after 4 or 8 pm.