Air conditioning power svings

You do understand how the estimated tax works, don't you? It doesn't mean you must "file taxes four times a year" by any stretch of the imagination; when filing for tax year Y, you estimate what your tax burden will be for year Y+1 and pay that in four installments quarterly during year Y+1. You then file Y+1 normally at the start of Y+2 and either get a refund (you estimated too high) or pay additional taxes (plus a penalty if your estimation was significantly low). Fundmentally little difference from payroll withholding.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Of course. It depends on your predictions, though. Not always possible.

I have *ZERO* interest in doing *ANY* government paperwork four times a year. Not going to happen. It's obscene that we have to go through it once (didn't I already say that?).

What a dumb statement!

You're wrong, of course (I thought you said you knew all about this stuff). Withholding is assumed to have been paid throughout the year, even if it was all paid on the last day of the calendar year. Not so with estimated tax or YE payments.

Reply to
krw

Yes, it so the govt can get it's hands on your money to spend it down a rat hole, instead of waiting for it until April 15.

Reply to
trader4

That's from their point of view. From my point of view, it's so they don't get a bi-weekly interest-free loan from me.

Reply to
Wes Groleau