Air conditioning power svings

Page 4 of 4
On 1/24/2013 7:55 PM, Dimitrios Paskoudniakis wrote:

I was part of that heat wave too. When people complained online, the utility originally said the AC was only off until 2:00 (or something) and then come to find out they supposedly immediately implemented some sort of second emergency cutoff. It was mid-90s in my house when I got home. Dogs were panting. Speaking of programmable thermostats, part of the deal was they gave me and installed one. Came in "handy" because they day they turned off the AC, they displayed some message to that effect on the thermostat! At least I knew my AC hadn't up and died on me.
Complaining aside, if the choice is between cycling the AC and having a blackout, I'd like to at least have the capability of running my ceiling fans rather than a total power outage. (My neighborhood gets enough of those at random intervals anyhow!).
The electric company here in Nashville, TN had the program. They installed their control on A/Cs. During peak load some of my customers would call because their home was too hot. I found after checking the systems that all that was wrong was the electricity saving device was keeping the AC from running, and when the unit came back on it couldn't catch up. Removed device and customer was happy, and I was happy. $$
Wes Groleau;3002045 Wrote: > Electric company wants me to install a device that lets them remotely

I think you can try it and see if it can really reduce your consumption. Otherwise, you can always have them remove the device right? Are they giving it out for free? Because if not, it may just be another scheme to earn money from you through the device. It's just not normal for an energy company to give away something that would make one's consumption cheaper. It's like saying I will give out a discount to your bill because I am generous. :)
--
anastacia.b

The electric companies install them for free and offer some kind of payment. The reason is not to reduce your electric usage, but to temporarily decrease demand for electricity during PEAK periods. I've had it and they only activate it a few times a year. It saves the utility from having to build another power plant, or buy electricity at very high rates during peak periods. Yes, you probably will use a little less electricity, but it's not marketed as a device to save you energy costs.