Air conditioning power svings

Page 3 of 4
If I remember right, the offer here (NY area- Con Ed) was that they'd turn the thermostat higher but the customer could always override it. I guess they figured some people wouldn't notice, wouldn't care or wouldn't be home, and that was sufficient.
On 01-24-2013 19:55, Dimitrios Paskoudniakis wrote:

The offer here is eight dollars.

I'm not worried about the comfort. I'm a hardy soul. I was concerned about whether the eight bucks a month would result in an eight hundred dollar repair bill in less than a hundred months.
I got one answer of NO, a couple more of "the things don't work" and a whole heap of programmable thermostats.
Saving money is nice, but they already owe me over a hundred, so it's certainly not a matter of need.
--
Wes Groleau

“Missing a train is only painful if you run after it!”
On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 01:58:34 -0500, Wes Groleau

For $50, a quarter of my highest month's bill, I'd probably do it. For eight bucks, not a chance.

Huh? The above doesn't parse.

Owe you?
On 01-25-2013 09:12, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Where do you live? I want to make sure I don't move there. I pay around $500 a year.

Sorry if I abbreviated too much. I asked a question about a power control device on the compressor and the first zillion responses were about programmable thermostats. Finally someone answered my question with "no, it won't hurt your compressor" and then a few others went off on how the device doesn't work.

I get paid every two weeks and send them twenty bucks each payday. I don't worry about the excess because I'm sure I'll use it eventually. If and when it gets too high, I'll adjust my amount downward.
--
Wes Groleau

“Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read
On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 20:48:56 -0500, Wes Groleau

I heat with electricity. My highest bills (February and August) are around $200. The total is probably around $2200 per year. Do you pay less for heat and electricity (including AC). Where?
Actually, those numbers are for the old house. I haven't lived here a year yet but it's probably more (40% larger and more of a ranch than a two-story).

That's an odd way to run a budget but whatever floats your boat. I don't let anyone have my money longer than necessary. Though I screwed up with the government this year, I'm sure.

Indiana. Temperature range 10°F to 90°F (occasionally even wider)

The simplicity more than compensates for the minimal loss of interest.
I used to "not let anyone have my money longer than necessary" and at least once a year I'd hang onto it a day too long and the late fee was far more than the pittance of interest it brought me.
--
Wes Groleau

“Thinking I'm dumb gives people something to

In a single day (sigh).
On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 00:33:38 -0500, Wes Groleau

You didn't answer the question.

I haven't paid a late fee in decades. The Internet has made it even easier to control these things.

You didn't use a question mark. I answered the one that was an obvious question. As for the other, 26 times $38 is close to my annual gas and electricity.

Been about three years for me since I adopted the every payday method. I do use online control, with the emphasis on the control. If I have to constantly monitor to ensure an automatic payment doesn't bounce, I might as well just trigger the payment myself.
Internet is nice, but can't stop the postman from delivering the bill to the wrong house. But I've had too much trouble with online statements to completely give up paper.
(I get a kick out of the ones that beg me to save a tree by going electronic. If they really wanted to save a tree, I wouldn't have to discard (without reading) several advertisements from every one of their envelopes.
--
Wes Groleau

After the christening of his baby brother in church, Jason sobbed
On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 00:33:38 -0500, Wes Groleau

There's a way around that. Pre-authourized withdrawals - we do it on the credit card - and pay only what is owed that month - not a "budget plan" Works good. Just pay the credit card once a month - no billing dates to worry about - and no interest as long as you pay the card off every month. And 3% bonus on the card to boot.

Indiana. Temperature range 10°F to 90°F (occasionally even wider)

The simplicity more than compensates for the minimal loss of interest.
I used to "not let anyone have my money longer than necessary" and at least once a year I'd hang onto it a day too long and the late fee was far more than the pittance of interest it brought me.
--
Wes Groleau

“Thinking I'm dumb gives people something to
On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 00:14:39 -0400, Wes Groleau

In the case of the government, it's a matter or principle, for me. They don't get their money until the last instant. The check never goes out until 4/15. Ever.

Sure, but I'd rather have the flexibility of moving the money around, if necessary. My wife pays most of the bills automatically but the couple of CCs I pay are paid a couple of days before they're due. It's easy enough to do online. I think we only pay one or two bills by mail, anymore. Those, she can't figure out how to do automatically.
On 11-03-2013, 11:53, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

If you have withholding, they're getting a lot of it sooner. But there are ways to reduce that.

To each his own. I have more discretion now than ever. And the bill-paying style is the main reason. Before, every month we managed to miscalculate and arrive at a due date without money. Now everything in the bank the day after we know is fair game.
--
Wes Groleau

“In the field of language teaching, Method A is the logical
On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 15:08:58 -0500, Wes Groleau

...and pay more later. I've paid the penalty in the past. It's not trivial.

I would rather not move money from/to savings to cover bills (it comes out easier than it goes in). If I can leave everything in the checking account until closer to its due date, it makes smoothing out the cash flow easier. We're never in the situation (anymore) where we're worried about spending what we don't have. Discretion? Perhaps, in both senses of the word.
On 11-03-2013, 17:44, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

There is indeed a penalty for "underwithholding" -- unless you do quarterly estimated tax.
I've got my withholding pretty close to right on, but if I had trouble doing that, I'd go with the estimations.
--
Wes Groleau

Armchair Activism: http://www.breakthechain.org/armchair.html
On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 00:54:26 -0500, Wes Groleau

Yeah, I *really* want to file taxes four times a year.

I used to have it nailed pretty well but since I "retired" I've had some really strange years. A lot of unexpected stuff. I'll have more for at least the next two years (rental and house sale). I want to err on the underwitheld side, no matter what the penalty.
I am *NOT* going to go through that crap four times a year. Once is obscene enough.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz writes:

You do understand how the estimated tax works, don't you? It doesn't mean you must "file taxes four times a year" by any stretch of the imagination; when filing for tax year Y, you estimate what your tax burden will be for year Y+1 and pay that in four installments quarterly during year Y+1. You then file Y+1 normally at the start of Y+2 and either get a refund (you estimated too high) or pay additional taxes (plus a penalty if your estimation was significantly low). Fundmentally little difference from payroll withholding.
On Tue, 05 Nov 2013 15:32:37 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

Of course. It depends on your predictions, though. Not always possible.

I have *ZERO* interest in doing *ANY* government paperwork four times a year. Not going to happen. It's obscene that we have to go through it once (didn't I already say that?).

What a dumb statement!

You're wrong, of course (I thought you said you knew all about this stuff). Withholding is assumed to have been paid throughout the year, even if it was all paid on the last day of the calendar year. Not so with estimated tax or YE payments.
On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 10:32:37 AM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Yes, it so the govt can get it's hands on your money to spend it down a rat hole, instead of waiting for it until April 15.
On 11-07-2013, 07:25, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

That's from their point of view. From my point of view, it's so they don't get a bi-weekly interest-free loan from me.
--
Wes Groleau

Pat's Polemics