Air Conditioning options

Page 2 of 2
On 5/31/2015 1:49 PM, rebel wrote:

If you tip AC on its side, the compressor lubricating oil goes to the wrong places, and the unit won't work.
What's needed is called a casement style AC. I have one outdoors on the deck, I've been trying for years to sell it. I'm in suburb of Rochester, NY, probably can't UPS or post office it. Wonder where is the OP, and if there is some way to drive it there.
On 5/31/2015 12:45 PM, Dave C wrote:

Not exactly what you're thinking but this might work better for you all the way around while maintaining the structural integrity of the window.
Buy a suitable window AC unit and "convert" it to a through the wall unit. If you're at all handy, it's a relatively easy fix and works quite well. I've done it in three different locations at my place. Two additions to the house where it was impractical to extend the duct work for the existing central air and one in my workshop in a detached garage.
Oldest installation/conversion is going on 38 years and it's still working just fine.

Just need to cut away about 1/3 of the condenser, and modify the air flow so the outdoor air comes in the back of the unit. Might need to do some brazing to reseal the copper tubes when you cut em.
That will convert a window unit to a through the wall unit.

I see four options.
1. Casement AC unit
2. Standard AC through the wall
3. Mini Split
4. Portable unit (you have to empty a bucket)
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
On 5/31/2015 1:45 PM, Dave C wrote:

I've never met a wall or window unit I've liked. They're too damn noisy! I'd go with a mini-split.
I would price shop a goodman installed in your current furnace. central AC is much more convenient, saves energy. and a goodman may cost 1500 to 2000 bucks.
trane carrier and others 2 to 3 times the cost of a goodman. a lifetime fri end who used to teach HVAC highly recommends goodman, since the parts arent propietory. none of this OEM only where the parts are a profit center, and can end when the manufacturer wants.
dont call the biggest add in the paper of yellow pages, there are lots of s mall dealers who will do a excellent and affordable job.
i had window units for most of my life, the bbest upgrade was goodman
On 5/31/2015 11:34 AM, Sum Ting-Wong wrote:

A mini-split is definitely the best option for a room air-conditioner.
They are expensive, about $1000. Replacing existing central air is about $3000 for the compressor and evaporator.
The other option is cutting a hole in the wall.
Avoid window units at all costs.
On 5/31/2015 10:45 AM, Dave C wrote:

Get a 115V ductless split system. About $1000. <http://www.comfortup.com/gree-neo-premium-efficiency-12-000-btu-ductless-mini-split-a-c-115v-w-inverter-heat-remote-free-25-line-set-kit
Avoid window units at all costs.

Controlled temperature?
If not that, what?

On 5/31/2015 3:44 PM, micky wrote:

CT= Connecticut.

Your windows are 'casement windows' and you can find AC units to fit them. Casement windows are more common outside the US.