Air Conditioning options

Wow is right! Just the ticket, Micky. A nice compact unit to increase the humidity, give him exercise filling it with water AND ice, should be a good source of legionella (a/k/a "Legionnaire's disease").

Probably be the best $100 he ever spent. Not!

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I hadn't thought of that. For some poeple legionella may be the closest they get to a fraternal organization.

Reply to
micky

This is what Wikip says

"Legionnaires' disease is transmitted by inhalation of aerosolized water and/or soil contaminated with the bacteria. It is not airborne and it is not transmitted from person to person."

If it's transmitted by aerosolized water, how is not airborne?

Reply to
micky

That's important. Even the noise** of the central AC bothered me when it worked, and I kept the bedroom door shut to hear less of it (through the return duct in the stairwell.) **The noise of the air circulation fan. In the winter it didn't bother me. Same speed, one speed fan, but I guess deep down I want the heat more in the winter than I want the cool in the summer. The desire for warmth may be more instinctive than the desire to be cool, since I'm sure more people have died from cold than from heat.

Thanks. I asked before I remembered that my friend offered to lend me one, but he may not be able to find his, or something else may go wrong, so this is very helpful if I have to buy one.

Reply to
micky

Many furnace have three speed fan motors. Cold air is heavier, so the furnace needs to use a higher speed for AC, to push the cold air up. It is very possible the AC is actually louder, due to the higher fan speed.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's one of the problems with Wikipedia: sourcing

Anyone could enter anything into Wikip and it will stay there - taken as gospel by some - until/unless someone else contradicts it.

I was surprised to learn - though not from Wikip - that legionella can thrive in a home's potable hot water system. Apparently the bacteria can thrive in temps between something like 100 and 120 degrees F in a stagnant run of piping, like maybe a section running to a powder room which is rarely used? How it transmits to the inhabitants is not mentioned. Drinking it? or maybe having it come through a shower head?

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Mine does. The color code showed that it was attached to the lowest speed.wire, but just in case the color code was wrong, I connected it in turn to the two other colors. The diagram was right and I had to put it back on the original, low-speed wire.

Only one speed, same for heat and cooling.

Reply to
micky

never remember if blue and red are low and medium. Black is high.] sh the cold air up. It is very

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm really happy with the portable AC we have. It works real well for what we need, anyway.

Reply to
rebel

I have a feeling he won't be able to find his AC (because we discussed this last summer and if he'd seen it in the past year, he'd remember seeing it and where), so yesterday I went to that surplus store I mentioned. They still have some, probably the same ones they had last year, that they brought out again.

Only 4 or 5 models, 3 that are 8K, and one only 25 dollars less than a refurbished machines online (including shipping) . Another also about $30 less, But another that seems to be 100 less, One model has been replaced by a newer model, but I'm not sure it's really any better.

Reply to
micky

In fact, not counting the contaminated soil (which is not how the Legionaires got it) it is only airborne.

You're right.

a scary world.

Reply to
micky