Air Conditioning for Stand-Alone Garage

Page 2 of 2
On 6/24/2016 9:52 PM, bob haller wrote:

Sure, just get a $3,000 system instead of a $150 window unit. Very affordable.
How big a furnace does he need in New Orleans when 80% of the year is AC. Would 100,000 BTU be sized about right?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Why have a furnace in a garage ln New Orleans???
On 6/24/2016 10:39 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Because a $3,000 installed system with heat is cheaper than a $150 window AC?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Friday, June 24, 2016 at 8:44:33 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That chart was very helpful. Now I know that I should be looking at 12,000-14,000 BTU window units. Thanks!
On 6/24/2016 10:44 PM, Bob Simon wrote:

Based on being a garage, size, and humid Nawlins, bigger is good. Some of those window units can be run on 120 VAC, 15 amps.
Worth noting, the AC should remove a lot of water from the air. Do you have some way of handling the condensate?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Friday, June 24, 2016 at 8:01:26 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

hers.)

workshop and music practice area. There’s no insulation in the garage attic so the guy said the walls probably don’t have any eith er. He said it would be an easy matter to blow foam in the attic but holes would have to be cut in the walls to insulate them. I’m consideri ng doing both. Do you agree that I should? Do you have any idea what this would typically cost?

side the garage in a reasonable amount of time?

in reduced operating costs compared to a window unit?

r people on the house side. Since we're not going to use the garage for ca rs, I think we'll rarely open the big door.

conduit to the garage. If I need more power, I presume the additional wire s can be pulled through the existing conduit.

Actually, it's an 8' ceiling but you have the right idea. There are two wi ndows so, yes, a window unit could work.
On 6/24/2016 10:40 PM, Bob Simon wrote:

Would be good idea to see how much electricity you have. Real shame if your AC max out the power feed, and then you can't run power tools or lights at the same time.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 6/24/2016 8:53 PM, Bob Simon wrote:

door next to the alley for cars plus a regular- size door for people on the house side. Since we're not going to use the garage for cars, I think we'll rarely open the big door.

to another box. From there the wires go via buried conduit to the garage. If I need more power, I presume the additional wires can be pulled through the existing conduit.

hours for the first one to show up.

It is very possible the garage was wired with the need for lights, and not much else. It is very possible you have one circuit. You might need to turn off the window AC while running power tools. From the sounds of it, you may need to put up some kind of partition, use half or two thirds of the garage for storage, and only AC part of the garage.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 6/24/2016 3:53 PM, Bob Simon wrote:

As far as AC goes, I can honestly recommend portable standing AC's that roll up to a window on wheels. I LOVE the 2 I have. They're quiet, and they're easy to take care of, and do great keeping the room cool.
--
Maggie

On Fri, 24 Jun 2016 22:46:48 -0500, Muggles

them..
On 6/24/2016 11:42 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Maybe I just got lucky with the 2 that I bought, but so far I've only had to hook one up in the living room area and it's keeping things cool.
--
Maggie