Air Conditioners outside drip pipe question

Is it normal for water to always be dripping from the outside pipe that comes out of the attic on our AC?
I do not remember it dripping this much last summer.
Mark
In alt.home.repair snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com (Mark Jaggers) wrote:

Well, I see an HVAC guy answered with a long detailed condescending answer, and got it wrong. That pipe is an emergency overflow pipe connected to an overflow pan under your evaporator. It should have NOTHING dripping from it ever. When it does, it is because your NORMAL condensate waste system is clogged.
Look for a pipe on the bottom of your evaporator and follow that to where it connects to a sewer pipe. Something is clogged causing it to backup and overflow to the overflow pan. Fix that, the dripping will stop. Pour bleach in it each spring to kill the gunk and keep it flowing freely.
(Mark Jaggers) wrote:

This is Turtle.
Bruce are you buddys with Mark Jaggers and have been by to take a look at the system to know if you have a primary drain run to the sewer or exterior of house? The secondary drain will be usely run to the outside for alarm reasons.
Am i talking to a installer or service tech by deciding what the system looks like and never seen it. you are correcting tech and installer which do this type work everyday and telling them / him how to fix the drain. Damn , your good.
If you have really seen the job / system that Mark has , i will tell you that your right. If you have never seen the job and don't know how the system is set up. I will say your full of a bunch of hot air.
OH Yea, your fixing to get PLONKED after i get through posting this so save your band wide for the internet.
TURTLE
Hi Bruce, hope you are having a nice day
On 14-Jul-03 At About 22:00:47, Bruce wrote to All Subject: Re: Air Conditioners outside drip pipe question
B> From: snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Bruce)
B> In alt.home.repair snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com (Mark Jaggers) wrote:
B> > Is it normal for water to always be dripping from the outside pipe B> > that comes out of the attic on our AC? > >I do not remember it B> dripping this much last summer.
B> Well, I see an HVAC guy answered with a long detailed condescending B> answer, and got it wrong. That pipe is an emergency overflow pipe B> connected to an overflow pan under your evaporator. It should have B> NOTHING dripping from it ever. When it does, it is because your B> NORMAL condensate waste system is clogged.
B> Look for a pipe on the bottom of your evaporator and follow that to B> where it connects to a sewer pipe. Something is clogged causing it B> to backup and overflow to the overflow pan. Fix that, the dripping B> will stop. Pour bleach in it each spring to kill the gunk and keep B> it flowing freely.
You have it wrong here. run that pipe to a sewer stack and you could get sewer gas in the house. The pipe he is talking about could be an overflow safety but since you cannot you nor I can see it there is no way to know. But saying an experienced tech got it wrong is usually a mistake.
-=> HvacTech2 <=-
.. "A friend of mine is in jail for counterfeiting pennies..."- s.w.