Air conditioners make outlets hot

Two distinct problems, IMHO:

The large loads should be split onto different branch circuits (breakers.)

Resistive drops in the vicinity/innards of the outlet are excessive. Can result from small conductor section-area- needing heftier outlet/plug. Could even cost pennies more than cheap crap.

Back-stabber outlets, vice screw-terminal, are dangerous IMHO for motor/compressor loads. Like refrig, a/c. Ideally branch cable is connected only to breaker and one outlet.

barry

It's also possible for the bad connnection to be in the cord/plug part, inside the plug, between the metal prongs and the wires that go to an appliance. This was never common and it's less common now, I think, because plugs seem to be better attached to cords. But flexing the wire right at the plug can eventually break the wire, or most strands of it, and that can make heat.

You can probalby tell by feeling what is the hottest part and what is only hot because it's touching something hotter.

Reply to
mm

So probably all you have to do is change the outlet, the receptacle, for a newer one. Don't buy the cheapest but one step up from that, about a dollar or less, but not 29 cents.

(Really, if the outlet is using the back stap parts, you might only have to take the wires out of that and put them under the screws, but since you're taking the whole thing apart, maybe get new. REmove the backstab wires by pushing a small screwdriver in to the hole right next to the wire hole. When the breaker is off.)

Reply to
mm

Well, thanks for all the feedback on this one!

The electrician came this morning and replaced the outlets and also the plug for the AC in my daughters room - it had a black spot and I guess it was shorted out a bit. I think that plug was causing some of the problems. Maybe it got cooked from her outlet.

They are running nice and cool today! No noticeable heat.

Thanks a bunch!

Steve

Reply to
szeik

It could be the source of that 27V read on a disconnected neutral.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Good solution. How much was the bill?

Reply to