Air Conditioner Woes

It's finally time to install an airconditioner at my apartment but I have run into a problem installation.

My windows are built in such a way that the sliding part is not on the bottom of the sill. Instead, there is a solid piece of permanent glass on the bottom, about

36" wide x 18" tall, then on top of this is a horizontal- sliding window assembly (These can be totally removed from the frame but the bottom piece is permanent)

I have seen a few tenants with AC's hanging out their windows but they are too far away to really see how they mounted them. I'm up on the

19th floor so doing any sort of mounting or construction on the exterior is impossible.

The ac itself is not that big or heavy. Just a 5000 BTU box weighing about 40lbs.

Any thoughts for mounting?

Any suggestion would be appreciated and I can send a picture by to anyone who needs a better idea about how the windows are actually setup if it will help.

Thanks, Craig

Reply to
BLACKCRACK

From you description I would think that you need something to support the unit at the point where the window opens. This could be an angle irons attached to each side jamb with a 2x4 spanning the width or it could be a "short wall" that sits on the actual sill. For sure you don't want it falling 19 floors to the ground.

Use the link in my sig to post a free picture for the group. Others may have better thoughts.

Reply to
Colbyt

Reply to
buffalobill

Consider that if you "jerry-rig" something to hold the AC in place, and it falls and kills someone, you will be liable and will face criminal charges. Best to get a pro in there and install it right, this is no place to play around or learn on. Eric

Reply to
Eric

Hi there. Great suggstion about posting the picture. I have posted it and everyone can see it at

H> > It's finally time to install an airconditioner at my apartment but I

Reply to
BLACKCRACK

Lowes sells a nice window unit mounting bar that rests against the outside wall a few inches below the unit. It is adjustable so that the water drips correctly instead of inside. And very little weight is put on the window below.

Also, If you open the window the thing does fall out.

Reply to
JimL

You are such a party-pooper.

Reply to
JimL

Lowes sells a nice window unit mounting bar that rests against the outside wall a few inches below the unit. It is adjustable so that the water drips correctly instead of inside. And very little weight is put on the window below.

Also, If you open the window the thing does NOT fall out.

But truthfully, it looks like you need to get permission to install a window unit. Save yourself a bunch of grief and go thru channels to get it done properly.

Reply to
JimL