Air conditioner screen

I would like to make one. When I had my A/C replaced, I certainly didn't expect it to be noisier than the old one. I worry that it might be bothering my neighbors. Ditto my pool filter, it's on the same side. So I would like to put a wood screen to try to dull the noise for them.
Probably bothers me more than them.
On tv, you just go to Lowe's or Home Depot and grab an attractive wood screen and put it up, presto changeo. In real life, I've looked and looked and I never see them in the store. Ideally I'd like to just buy a nice looking screen panel maybe 3' high.
So, I guess I have to make my own. I got a book to see how this would be constructed. Here's the thing, and my question. finally.
I don't have much in the way of wood working tools. In the past when I wanted to make something, say a raised flower bed or a shelf, I would go buy 2Xwhatevers and ask them to cut one or two in half, or to a length.
Question, how far can you go with this? Can I go to the lumber yard and say I need 10 boards cut to 36 inch lengths, 20 other boards cut the same way, whatever? Or are they going to say, lady, we're not a hobby shop. Cut your own wood. (laugh) What's the deal?
Thanks.
nancy

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/home/improvements/678-resin-outdoor-privacy-screen.html

Thanks so much for looking that up for me. I have seen the vinyl screens, however they would look out of place with my house color. You wouldn't think white would clash, but it does.
nancy
Nancy Young wrote:

If your hand fits a can of spray paint, you're good to go.
Hint: If you use a can in each hand, the job takes only half the time.
On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 08:53:12 -0400, "Nancy Young"

call around and ask if they can provide you with "X" number of 36" pieces and "X" whatever you are using for rails etc. They will either say they are not equipped to do that or quote you a price. I think you can even get the HD/Lowes people to do these cuts for "X" per cut. (over their "free" maximum) That will really be up to the people at each store. If you are buying enough stuff they might do it for free. Just plan it all out so you know what you need and get a few extras.

Okay, thanks! So I know this is something they're prepared to do for a fee if necessary. I feel better about asking, then. I'll just have to figure out what I need.
nancy
Nancy Young wrote:

Try a real local lumber yard. Around here there are at least 3 that have shops that will do such cutting very reasonably. As a bonus they buy better quality wood so you don't have to pick through piles of wood to get a few good pieces.
Another option would be to search for a local fence company. They probably even stock the sort of panel you want in either wood or resin.

Oh, okay! I hadn't considered that. I usually buy from a local place because I don't want to drive too far with lumber hanging out the back of my car anyway. I didn't know their lumber was likely better, too.

Thanks very much. I will do that.
nancy
The magic of T1-11... On a much smaller scale of course, you could do something like I did: http://www.flickr.com/photos/joearnold/158620080/sizes/o /
One sheet of T1-11 and a few PT 2x4's and 4x4's should be enough.
Mine was to hide the pool system, AC equipment and provide a garden tool shed.

Ha ha! That's great. My siding is T1-11, too. Great job, a little beyond my skills. Heh.
nancy

Nice Shed. Can I have it?
Nancy Young wrote:

You should get used to the heat or move to a cooler climate. Your energy footprint must be out of sight. You probably use more energy than 10,000 Africans.

*Maybe a fence supplier or a nursery would have something suitable. Have you considered the possibility of using bushes as a sound buffer?

I too think that's a very sound suggestion ;-)
Select an evergreen species carefully to minimize any issues with leaves and twigs causing problems with the pool, pool equipment, and a/c unit.
A good nurseryman should be able to offer some constructive suggestions.
John Grabowski wrote:

I'm sorry I didn't respond to this earlier, I just saw it now.
I have thought of that, and I did actually start towards that, but both the pool filter and the A/C unit are in areas where nothing grows because of large maples. I'm not having any success with that. I have considered growing some kind of vine on any screen I put up.
Watch, they'll be the only vines that don't take over my whole yard, a first. Heh. Thanks for the idea. I am going to look for a fence company, there are a couple that I know of. I don't want to spend a fortune, but I wonder if this project is out of my league because of my lack of appropriate tools.
nancy

Some will, some won't. If you see a shop that says "lumber & millwork" they will. Figure out what you need a make a few phone calls
Another method is to find a neighbor that does woodworking as a hobby. Most of us would gladly do the work for free or for a cup of coffee or a six pack. Just a neighborly thing to do. Ask your neighbors or co-workers.

I just put up a couple of fence sections and covered it in siding that matched the house. From a short distance it matches the house and it is pretty much invisible. Covers HVAC utility connections and trash cans. Putting up large garden tools such as the tiller and lawnmower (tool shed is elevated a couple of feet) are a bit of a bother especially if I plan on using them again the next day so under these conditions I just put them away behind the fence until Im done with them for a while.
Jimmie
On Mon 20 Apr 2009 05:53:12a, Nancy Young told us...

I've never had a problem having either Lowes or Home Depot cutting any quantity of wood for me. The last project was replacing the shelves in all the kitchen cabinets. I didn't like what came with the house. Lowes had prefinished shelving in 8 foot lengths. I think I bought 8 or 9 of them, but had them cut in very precise sections, ending up with 30 odd pieces. They were very cooperative.
--
Wayne Boatwright