Air Conditioner noisy

Hi All, I recently had my heater/ac unit replaced, and it seems noisier than the old unit. Our old house has no subfloor, which I know is part of the problem, in addition to it being located under our dining room. I would like to quiet things down a bit and thought of cutting either ceiling tiles or thicker sheetrock to size and shove up into the joists. A traditional ceiling is not possible; too many things in the way. Which might be better? Anyone have experience with this? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Reply to
Rick

This is Turtle.

Are you talking about air noise or noise from equipment running.

If it is air noise. increase the return size and line return line with accustic tile.

If it is equipment noise get you some shock pads from the HVAC warehouse to set the furnace on to cut down on vibration. Get you 4 -- 1' X 1' X 1" pades and put furnace on them. Every hvac warehouse has them and the installer can get them real eazy. They also come in 4" X 4" X 1" pade which will do just as good.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

This is a common complaint when the installers and or salemen do NOT do a manual D duct sizing calculation when selling you a new unit. If you have air noise, this would be reason #1..what so many overlook is that the duct system is part of the HVAC system, just as important as the actual mechanical parts themselves.

If you have operation noise, it could be due to any one of a number of reasons, but the most common is bad mounting procedures. Turtle states the correct parts to fix the problem if its more of a vibration issue...of course, in all honesty, not being able to hear your issue is part of our problem and we cant give you a one size fits all solution.

Reply to
CBHvac

Turtle & CB has explained your situation and how to fix. So, I will type no further.

-- kjpro _-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>

( kjpro @ starband . net ) remove spaces to e-mail

Want it done yesterday? Or done right today, to save money tomorrow!!

Reply to
kjpro

Thanks for the ideas.

Reply to
Rick

A better option would be to use some vinyl nitrate closed cell noise control foam. You'll be much happier with the reduction of noise. You can read about it at...

Super Soundproofing Co.

757 N. Twin Oaks Valley Rd. San Marcos, CA 92069 Technical Assistance 1-760-752-3030 Order Desk 1-888-942-7723 Fax 1-760-752-3040

BJ Nash