Air conditioner maintenance question

All the a/c maintenance / efficiency blurbs talk about changing filters, without specifying whether they mean some filter built into the a/c, or the central system filter that is used by the furnace too (or both).
I couldn't find a filter in the meager literature that comes with our a/c, or that I could see on the a/c unit.
Is it there a filter on some/all a/c units, or are they refering to the regular central air filter?
thanks
Kurt Gavin wrote:

They are referring to the filter that is (usually) at the air return of your AC system.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Which is found where?
thanks

Kurt Gavin wrote:

with the word "FILTER" and normally is easily removed by thumb screws or similar hardware

Is the AC part of your heating system? If so, that is the filter.
Kurt Gavin wrote:

Without seeing precisely what you're looking at one can't be positive, but I believe they mean what you're referring to as the "regular" one. That's the only filter I change, FWIW.
The only other thing that I'm aware of that might possibly be referred to as a filter is more in the nature of a dessicant canister, and changing it (if that were ever even advisable, which I doubt) is a major repair.
Hi, there, I am facing the same problem. Have you found out how to get to the filter in the room air conditioner? We got our AC second hand without the manual. But I figure the filter needs change since it is not very efficient. But I have no idea how to get to the filter, and what kind of filter replacement we will need.
Thanks!
Chunhong
Kurt Gavin wrote:

The filter, if it has one, is under the inside plastic cover. You get at it from inside the room. Many room AC have no filter.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

I might add, To make it more efficient, when you have it apart, clean the coil with a strong degreaser and/or bathroom tile wall cleaner.