Air Conditioner Fuse Question

When the AC stopped working I pulled the fuses and detemined that one was bad.

The fuses in there were FLN R 20s: time delay, dual element, 20 amp, up to 250 volts.

The closest I could find at the store are FRN R 20: time delay, dual element, 20 amp, 250 volt, heavy duty.

Can I use the FRN in place of the FLN?

-Scott

Reply to
SMcK

FYI - the original FLRN was Littlefuse. The FRNR is Bussman. I found specs on line that say the FLNR is 125/250 volts and the FRNR is

250volts.

-Scott

Reply to
SMcK

Make sure you buy two.

When you put the first one in, good chance it will blow right away, if the fault that caused the original one still exists. Which it probably does.

Reply to
TimR

Actually, I should have said - there were two in there before, only one of which blew. The replacements came two-to-a-pack, so I do have two replacements. I still don't know, however, whether it's OK to use the FRNR as a replacement for the FLNR. Anyone?

-Scott

Reply to
SMcK

Yes, they cross-reference to each other

page 3:

snewman24

Actually, I should have said - there were two in there before, only one of which blew. The replacements came two-to-a-pack, so I do have two replacements. I still don't know, however, whether it's OK to use the FRNR as a replacement for the FLNR. Anyone?

-Scott

Yes you can use either kind. There are many kinds of fuses, but many times you can use other leters if they will fit the holder.

Several years ago where I work the Buss fuse company sent a man out to talk about fuses. They used to make lots of differant kinds that were really almost the same. They did that just for bragging rights that they had a large selection. They passsed out some charts that listed about three or four new fuses that could replace about 20 of the old types.

Outside of if they physically fit, there are only a few requirements. One is the amp rating must be the same. The voltage rating must be the same or higher than the supply voltage. There is also a maximum current intruurpting rating, but for most home applications that can be overlooked.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Also should have mentioned there are slow blow or time delay fuses for starting motors like the air conditioner will have and regular blow time fuses.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

TimR wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m24g2000vbp.googlegroups.com:

How about putting the old one that didn't blow in the slot of the one that did blow and put a new one in it's place. At least if it blows again you'll still have two new ones. Once the root cause is fixed put the two new ones in and use the old good one for a spare.

Just a thought.

Reply to
Red Green

snipped-for-privacy@m24g2000vbp.googlegroups.com:

I have blown two fuses for my central air conditionaing compressor in

40 years, I just replaced the fuse and things ran fine for another 20 years when the other of the pair blew. Fuses do get stressed somewhat if they are being used somewhere close to their fusing point and will eventually give out if there is even a slight surge from whatever cause. So the OP should not necessarily assume there is a fault unless the new fuse also blows when it is in the same position of the pair as the fuse that originally blew.
Reply to
hrhofmann

FWIW - I've had the same fuses inthere for the 11 years I've been in this house. For the one that blew, perhaps it was just its time.

-Scott

Reply to
SMcK

"hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@b1g2000vbc.googlegroups.com:

That's why I said IF it blows.

Which was the whole point of my reply.

Reply to
Red Green

Same here. Fuse blew on first startup in spring on a new installation. Other one blew a few yeas later again on first spring start up. Haven't had one blow since in over 10 years.

Harry K

Reply to
harry k

Have you had any thunderstorms or power surges? I usually install an anti-short cycle time delay module on customer's AC units if they have a fuse blowing issue when everything seems to be running well. The time delay keeps the compressor from trying to start again too soon after a power interruption. I'll set the timer for 4 or 5 minutes. The timers are simple to install and not very expensive.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

This is what happens when you don't fix the underlying problem.

Reply to
mm