air conditioner frosts up

Home AC just frosted up. First time this has happened in 8 years. I know I will have to call a repairman, but I don't want to get ripped off. What should I be aware of so that when he comes to fix it, I will know what's happening? Thanks, Adam

Reply to
Adam

Most likely, the unit is low on freon, and /or air movement is retricted.

It must be thawed out. The coils should be cleaned. The condenser should be cleaned. Gauges should be used to assess the freon charge. If a significant amount of freon is required, the leak should be diagnosed and repaired.

Keep the whole world singing. . . Dan G

(remove the 7)

Reply to
Dan G