Air Conditioner cycles off after 3 to 5 minutes---need troubleshooting help

Page 2 of 2
Fixed !!!!
The replacement thermostat arrived after the 4th of July holiday. The holes matched exactly and the part went in easily. So far my air conditioner works just fine. Of course, now it has been unusually cool and I haven't really needed it.
I'm a little late posting this note....and thanking everyone....right after I fixed the air conditioner I had a computer meltdown and was off the air for several days. Today everything at my home is working fine including the computer. I wonder what tomorrow will bring.
Bob
On Jun 29, 3:26pm, "Stormin Mormon"

We never doubted you.
"It's always the thermostat" Trademark, used with permission.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

It was 102 here (northeast Texas) yesterday. Now we're having a cold wave, where temperatures are dropping to 97.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
Stormin Mormon wrote:

My suggestion of the overload was because of the age of the window unit. If he cleans it and it still does the same thing, it's probably the overload. A few months ago, my friend and me cleaned an old unit he had in a front room of his home. After cleaning, it was behaving the same way as the OP's AC. It turned out to be the overload relay under the connection cover of the comp. I found a link that can explain it better on, of all places, a coke machine page.
http://www.colamachines.com/howto/Cooling-Tips.htm
TDD
That's a reasonable web page. Like the writer says, Klixons mostly all look alike. When I think Klixon, I think start relay, not overload. Oh, well.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus