Air Conditioner Cools Intermittently

It could be many things. It would be very helpful if we knew if it was central air or a window unit and how old it is.

Just a couple of suggestions. The charge may be incorrect. If a home unit fixing this is a professional's job, it takes special equipment and training; and if low it also means there is a leak to fix first. If it is a window unit, it is either under warrantee or you junk it.

Restricted (dirty) condensers or evaporators are generally not too expensive to fix, and then there is the question of the fan and distribution system for a central unit.

There are others.

How old is it? When was the last time it was serviced (cleaned)?

If a window unit do you have the fresh air switched on or recirculate?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

This is Turtle.

Check the outside condenser coil for being plugged up with dirty. This is a common problem with the hvac system when they say what you said.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

My AC cools o.k. when the outside air temperature is in the high 60s to low

70s F. The air coming out of the vents is below 60F. When the outside air temp. is in the high 70s or 80s F, my AC doesn't cool, only blows hot air. Would appreciate any suggestions as to where to look for the problem.

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Newby

recirculate?

Most equipment runs best with annual service.

How long do you go between oil changes for your car? Do you or your wife have annual doctor check-ups?

Reply to
HeatMan

You are past due for service. Keep in mind that a 15 year old unit is about due for replacement. While I don't suggest replacement when basic maintenance will do, if it really needs any amount of work, I would replace it as it is close to the end of its life and a new unit should cost less to operate saving you some of the money you will spend on one.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

distribution

Thanks for the reply.

This is a central unit (heat pump) and is about 15 years old. I believe the last time it was serviced was about 8 years ago.

Reply to
Newby

a common problem with the hvac system when they say what

Thanks Turtle. I'll have a look now that I know where to start.

Reply to
Newby

Window unit, or central air, or mini split?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Central. Unit sits outside. I am not the owner; I would have maintained it better.

Reply to
Newby

Could be any of a lot of things. Low on freon, dirty coils, bad air flow, fan going bad.... the list goes on. I'd suggest you call a repair guy and pay him yourself. It's your comfort you're working on.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon