Air Conditioner compressor Humming sound

I have a Lennox 10 ACB Compressor system. I noticed today that the Air compressor (external) was making a humming sound and the fan was not working. The rest of the Air Conditioning system seems to be working fine.
Any suggestions on how to resolve the above issue.
Regards
AT
On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 17:35:53 -0700, AT wrote:

Call a tech if you aren't able to determine what's going on.
On 6/28/2011 7:35 PM, AT wrote:

Air compressor????
TDD
AT wrote:

Time to check contactor, and capacitor(s). Don't get yourself electrocuted.

Fan motor is not working. Could be the motor, could be a capacitor, could be a few things. If you don't know how to diagnose that stuff, call a service tech. Check out the service manual here http://hvacpartsshop.net/10ACB_Series.pdf
AT wrote:

I'm guessing the start capacitor is kaput.
1. Turn off power. 2. Take several pictures of wires connected to capacitor(s) 3. Remove capacitor. 4. Take capacitor to A/C parts store and say "Gimme one like this" (Higher voltage okay) 5. Install new capacitor 6. Turn on power. 7. Does it work? 7a. Yes, you're done 7b. No, call reputable A/C tech

I did this on a window air conditioner and it worked.

You may have a breaker that is tripped, and the relay ( contactor ) is making a humming noise. ( Note: The contactor is powered from the inside unit.) If the compressor is buzzing it will cycle on and off. Check the breakers. You could have one inside the house and one out side. The one outside may be a fuse type.

The rest of the system could not be working fine if the outside fan was not blowing air over the condensing coils to liquify the refrigerant before sending it back to the A-coil in the blower unit inside the house. That is assuming you have a conventional system.
On 6/30/2011 3:54 PM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

1. oil it 2 check for slipping blade 3 call repair service

If it is buzzing all the time, like I said before it may be the contactor relay. I remember on several ocassions that I found a bug smashed between the contacts. Again make sure that there is power to the outside condenser unit. A split unit control circuit voltage useualy comes from the inside unit.
On 06/30/2011 03:32 PM, LouB wrote:

be sure to turn the power off first

On 06/28/11 08:35 pm, AT wrote:

When our Lennox did this a couple of years back, it was the capacitor; more precisely, it was one of the two capacitors in a single can. I had a meter that allowed me to check it; if you don't, maybe you could just remove the capacitor (take careful note of the connections) and take it to an a/c service place and see if they will sell you a replacement. Don't remember how much I paid, but probably less than $20.
Perce