Air conditioner coils -- black fins

How much is the efficiency of an air conditioner helped by the fins on the coils being black instead of natural aluminum colored?

I ask because I'm concerned about coil cleaners removing the black paint, which seems to come off easily.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= *** Usenet.com - The #1 Usenet Newsgroup Service on The Planet! ***

Download - 19 Seperate Servers - 90,000 groups - Uncensored

Sponge Bob No Pants

Black Paint ! Black mold. Yes it will help and you wont be breathing spores. Metal is a great conductor of heat , Plants are not. Be sure a mold killing cleaner is used,

Reply to
m Ransley

I'm referring to the outdoor coil, which was definitely made black at the factory (brochure shows blackened coil), I'm sure for efficiency because the lower efficiency model has bare aluminum fins (same brochure). The indoor coil is shown as being silver colored for both models. BTW another reason indoor coils can be black is pinhole leaks seeping out oil (vertical streaks).

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= *** Usenet.com - The #1 Usenet Newsgroup Service on The Planet! ***

Download - 19 Seperate Servers - 90,000 groups - Uncensored

Sponge Bob No Pants

None. Todays higher end models are using non painted coils...

Reply to
CBHVAC

I take it you're talking about the outdoor coil?

The color will have no effect on the coils. (as long as the aluminum isn't deteriorating)

~kjpro~

Reply to
~KJPRO~

Black absorbs more sun shine. So, black fins have a negative effect on an AC.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

BTW

Really? I would expect the unit to fail from lack of refrigerant long before enough oil leaked to give that effect.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Stormin, quit talking about something you know nothing about.

Have you knock in any doors lately?

I heard you were a so called 'locksmith' but you couldn't pick the lock, so you pushed the door in!

And I don't need to say anything about the HVAC aspect, cause I already know you know very little on that subject.

But, I do have a question for you,

Are you and Davey 'HVAC fella' brothers??

~kjpro~

Reply to
~KJPRO~

Hey, lets go to the desert some day on a sunny day. I'll wear white clothes, and you wear black clothes.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon
1) you have no way to know the content of my mind. 2) It has been my experience that when a person has nothing to say, wise people remain silent. Pathetic and trivial people launch attacks. 3) When debating an issue, strong and noble people stick to the topic at hand. Weak and insecure people attack the man (ad hominum) rather than speak to the issue. 4) If you run fluid thrugh a tube, and the color doesn't matter.... why are solar panels (for heating water) painted black? Is it possible that running refrigerant through a tube, that the color of the tube matters?
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Logic and physics agree paint reduces heat transfer and black will absorb solar radiation. Whether it can be rated on an AC? Paint a piece of wood black, one silver, the black at 0 f wil be 50-60 in calm full sun , the silver under 10f. Ive done it. At 80f black will be over 120 silver near 90f Paint reduces heat transfer, but type of paint and thickness determine amount. Maybe on old cheaper units it was done ? Measurable amount of loss ? But I would think so. Just as I wouldnt put a unit in full sun where temperatures are 20-40+ hotter. It doesnt matter some will say , well then why are newer shakers flipping water back into the coils. I have a lake 20 ft away I wish I could submerge my coils in 20ft of 60f water, I figure every little bit helps.

Reply to
m Ransley