Air Conditioner Choice

Page 2 of 2
Actually, you now have a Goodman. Think about it.......... Bubba
On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 00:37:50 GMT, TP

I've got a Luxaire in my place. Only cause I got a good price on it, the parts house stopped carrying it.
When I was more busy installing, the boss used to use Rheem / Rudd, and sometimes Heil. the condensing units (outdoor part of the AC) we used to use exclusively Heil.
--

Christopher A. Young
This space intentionally left blank
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 16:00:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com (dtbray) wrote:

I'd suggest Ruud/Rheem.
Fred

This is Turtle.
I have been in the hvac / r business for a good while and do this kind of work.
I will not get into the name game here with brands for to look at a brand as to quality is a mistake for all brands have some junk equipment and some good stuff. I can take '' any brand '' and then go pick out the good stuff they have and install it and leave the junk at the warehouse.
So I will list the items that you want on the brand you choose and you should good to go.
1) I want a GOOD respectiable installer to install it. Now you can stop right here for he will usely pick out the good stuff anyway on the brands he sells if you tell him to get me something that will last and hold up for the long run. I think you might keep going here to just check thing out.
2) It Must have a Copland New Millium scroll compressor in the condenser unit. I did not say like to but must have. Now Trane / American Standard / G/E have climatuff compressors in them and I would rate them just a little short of a Copland scroll but may allow them I guess.
3) SEER rating -- If you live in the Southern states get the highest seer rating you can afford. In the Northern states 10 seer sounds good to me. Now heat pump is a different story but your not buying a heat pump.
4) Now to warranty -- get the longest warranty you can get. Now Trane / A/S / G/E have a 10 year parts and labor warranty -- Now most everybody else has a 5 & 10 year parts warranty -- Now Amana and Goodman 13 seer or above have 10 year parts warranty and a lifetime warranty on the compressor. Remember if it don't have a Copland Scroll compressor on it you don't want it.
5) You DO NOT WANT A PISTON TYPE COMPRESSOR IN THE CONDENSER UNIT. Was that clear enough ?
6) Drive around in the town you live in and see what is the most popular brand that is sold in your area and try to pick from the brands you see. This will usely tell you that they can get parts for the most popular brands sold in a area by being a good supply of equipment means a good supply of parts. Don't buy a Snow Bird Brand and you have the only one in town with that brand and order parts from Japan or somewhere. Pick out of the brands you see a lot.
7) E-mail me or post here and I will discuss it.
Now if I woke up tomorrow morning and my compressor was burnt up and I live in Hot Louisiana. I'm running my air conditioner in cooling mode right now. I would drive to the warehouses and get me a either a Rheem 14 seer , a Goodman 14 seer , or Amana 14 seer . this being they are the 3 big dog in the area and I do like the 14 seer condenser on each of these brands. Read the above closely here for the Rheem , Amana , and Goodman may not be the 3 big dogs in your town and have trouble getting parts from Russia or somewhere else. Get a brand you can get parts for. Now if your picking the 10 or 12 seer condenser but the one I pick will change a good bit and in some cases would not buy that brand at all. Every one of these three brands has models that I don't like.
TURTLE
Turtle, thanks for the advice. I live in Idaho where a higher seer rating may not be necessary. But if the higheer seer rating means newer better design and longer waranty then maybe that is the way to go. Also, are te higher seer ratings available that use r22. Or what are your thoughts on r22 vs. r410a? Goodonya, Tom

This is Turtle
Being in Idaho the 12 seer would be the max. as to tring to pay for the added cost of the system with saving.
Higher seer rating would be looked at as warrenty and some design reasons only.
Now getting a R-22 or a R-410-A type system right now when the R-22 is suppose to be do away with. Well your R-22 system will be wore out by the time R-22 gets not obtainable anymore. and also if the R-22 tomorrow morning was not buyiable / can't buy it NO MORE. They have right now R-407-C which can be dropped in it's place to use. The R-407-C will be used as a replacement when R-22 gets too high to buy. So if my system in my house went out. I would replace it with a R-22 system and when the regulation hit. I would just switch to R-407-C.
Now they have a 18 seer with the 410-A gas and they have a 16 seer with the R-22 freon. Unless your wanting a 18 seer , there is no need to jump to 410-A just yet.
TURTLE