air compressor redux

Page 1 of 2
what kind of air compressor would you get for your pick up truck? just to inflate tires.
--
<---=-Dilbert Firestorm-=--->
Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

slime or truckair.
On 2/25/2011 8:06 AM, Steve B wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
--
<---=-Dilbert Firestorm-=--->
Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Standard old fashioned hand pump. Also known as bicycle pump. Good for your cardio-vascular.
Joe
On 2/25/2011 1:37 PM, Joe wrote:

--
<---=-Dilbert Firestorm-=--->
Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

You don't own a pickup. I do. And I have one in my pickup. So there! <G>
Joe

But have you used it?
On 2/26/2011 2:53 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

tires.
--
<---=-Dilbert Firestorm-=--->
Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!
On 2/26/2011 10:06 AM, Joe wrote:

truck.
I'll have you know that I do have a pickup truck. :)
I did get this AAA 300psi pump. It was cheap, about $10.00 off on Amazon.com. So I bought it so I could get an idea how it performed. Tried it on my truck, all of my tires needed 20psi more to refill. Took me almost an hour to fill them.
--
<---=-Dilbert Firestorm-=--->
Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!
On 2/26/2011 5:22 PM, dilbert firestorm wrote:

Quite often the pumps that only put out up to 40 or 50PSI will pump up a tire much faster. A pump capable of 300PSI is either going to be ten times the size, or pump slow like yours. Why do people need 300PSI anyway? My van takes... 70 or 80 psi, but 300???

300 sounds good on a spec sheet. I'm more interested in the cfm output at pressures I use.
On 2/27/2011 8:00 PM, Tony Miklos wrote:

Big numbers that might actually indicate nothing or even that the item is mediocre are an important marketing thing because lots of purchasing decisions are based on them.
On 2/25/2011 11:08 PM, dilbert firestorm wrote:

lived it took forever to pump up.
A good bicycle pump will get you through. Not a joy, but easier and faster than the foot pumps. They are reliable, and that trumps a pump that decided to go useless.
Myself, a can of fix-a-flat in the trunk. And a regular air compressor at home.
Jeff
On 2/28/2011 8:14 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:

If getting a bicycle pump, try to find a 'fat' pump so it's pumping more cfs (cubic feet per stroke). The skinny ones didn't come around until bicycles with narrow tires came around. The narrow tires took about 100# and were hard to pump with a large hand pump.

NOT A BICYCLE PUMP: Those are for low volume, high pressure. They will give you a heart attack instead of a workout. Pumps for automotive tires are high volume, low pressure. I havent seen a decent 12v compressor made by anyone but I do use one I picked up at Wal Mart. The last one I got has held in there pretty good,
Jimmie
On 2/26/2011 11:03 AM, JIMMIE wrote:

--
<---=-Dilbert Firestorm-=--->
Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

My old Porsche 944 came with a collapsible spare tire and an electric pump rather than a full sized spare or donut. I actually had to use it once and it worked fine, although it's definitely an "emergency only" device.
They're also quite expensive to purchase, even used :/
nate

In the mid 70s they had little CO2 bottles in the car to blow up the spare but they were pretty hard to get refilled so it was one flat per customer. I suppose you could get one of those CO2 bottles they sell for framing nailers. For years I had an old Freon tank I used for blowing up tires (air in it). You can go to any garage and fill that back up.
dilbert firestorm wrote:

I get one that pumps only nitrogen. Like the tire shops have.