air compressor redux

what kind of air compressor would you get for your pick up truck? just to inflate tires.

Reply to
dilbert firestorm

slime or truckair.

Reply to
Steve B

Standard old fashioned hand pump. Also known as bicycle pump. Good for your cardio-vascular.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I get one that pumps only nitrogen. Like the tire shops have.

Reply to
FatterDumber& Happier Moe

i assume this comes with a tank of this stuff?

Reply to
dilbert firestorm

truck air - this one?

dilbert firestorm

I think you're insane!;-)

Reply to
dilbert firestorm

The one I have pumps about 80% nitrogen. Seems to work well enough.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You don't own a pickup. I do. And I have one in my pickup. So there!

Joe

Reply to
Joe

NOT A BICYCLE PUMP: Those are for low volume, high pressure. They will give you a heart attack instead of a workout. Pumps for automotive tires are high volume, low pressure. I havent seen a decent 12v compressor made by anyone but I do use one I picked up at Wal Mart. The last one I got has held in there pretty good,

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

But have you used it?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

what kind/brand?

Reply to
dilbert firestorm

Joe, Joe, Joe, you make lots of assumption that I don't have a pick up truck.

I'll have you know that I do have a pickup truck. :)

I did get this AAA 300psi pump. It was cheap, about $10.00 off on Amazon.com. So I bought it so I could get an idea how it performed. Tried it on my truck, all of my tires needed 20psi more to refill. Took me almost an hour to fill them.

Reply to
dilbert firestorm

the big question is, how long did it take for him to hand pump the truck tires.

Reply to
dilbert firestorm

Yeah, but it heats the tires with .04% of that nasty CO2 stuff.

Reply to
krw

Quite often the pumps that only put out up to 40 or 50PSI will pump up a tire much faster. A pump capable of 300PSI is either going to be ten times the size, or pump slow like yours. Why do people need 300PSI anyway? My van takes... 70 or 80 psi, but 300???

Reply to
Tony Miklos

"Tony Miklos" wrote

300 sounds good on a spec sheet. I'm more interested in the cfm output at pressures I use.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Big numbers that might actually indicate nothing or even that the item is mediocre are an important marketing thing because lots of purchasing decisions are based on them.

Reply to
George

Every car battery powered pump I've owned has died and when it still lived it took forever to pump up.

A good bicycle pump will get you through. Not a joy, but easier and faster than the foot pumps. They are reliable, and that trumps a pump that decided to go useless.

Myself, a can of fix-a-flat in the trunk. And a regular air compressor at home.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

My old Porsche 944 came with a collapsible spare tire and an electric pump rather than a full sized spare or donut. I actually had to use it once and it worked fine, although it's definitely an "emergency only" device.

They're also quite expensive to purchase, even used :/

nate

Reply to
N8N