Air Compressor Oil

"PeterD" wrote

You suspect wrong. It is not legal to ship a compressor with oil in it. It was tested at the factory as it should be, then drained. This is standard procedure with compressors, even the big ones.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Possible, but I got the impression that there was more than a residue of oil, more like it was partially filled. If there was just a residue of oil, then you are 100% correct. Actually you are correct in that they do fill and test at the factory then drain, but I think they do a good job of draining them--at least that's been my experience.

Reply to
PeterD

PeterD wrote the following:

Sorry I wasn't more clear. The oil I observed was just enough to indicate that they had put some oil in it at one time. Just like when you empty a can of oil, there is still some oil clinging to the inside of the can. It looked wet inside the oil fill tube and the oil sight gauge. PS. I haven't gone to get oil yet.

Reply to
willshak

The factory fills them with oil, tests them, maybe breaks them in a bit, then drains the oil and ships them. It wasn't just filled enough to test it, and if you've run it like that, you may have done damage and it won't be covered under the warranty.

Reply to
Tony

Please reread my original message. At no time did I even hint at running it with whatever oil was left in there. My original question was what kind of oil, other than compressor oil, have others used with success. Yesterday, I did pick up some 30 weight ND oil at WalMart , as some had mentioned, filled it this morning,with the 30 ND oil, and lit it off for the very first time.

Reply to
willshak

He's right. What ever possessed you to run it without oil, especially for such a long period of time?

Reply to
Bud

Reply to
Tony

You wrote "They put enough oil in it to test it". That's enough for concern. Sorry my warning was too much for you.

Reply to
Tony

Your warning was not too much for me. It was just misdirected since I never even plugged in the compressor in the 4 days I had it until after I filled it with oil. Besides, you did elaborate on what was done at the factory, so you shouldn't have a "concern" about what I wrote.

Reply to
willshak