Air Compressor Oil

Page 2 of 2

I used regular 30W non-detergent oil that I found on the shelf at WalMart. It's sold by the quart and is cheaper than regular motor oil. I suppose if I wanted to spend more, I could have bought two smaller bottles of oil over the the air compressors, but I didn't see why when essentially it's the same thing.
willshak wrote the following:

Just checking in.... I appreciate all the remarks so far. I'm still on the fence, but I may just take a trip to AutoZone and see what they have for compressor oil.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 15:06:34 -0400, willshak wrote:

30w ND on my Campbell Hausfield 3hp, 240 volt 26 gallon twin cyl oil lubbed horizontal. Had it for 10 years and used it with nailers, impact tools, air chisels etc... Maybe a total of 100 hours so far. Came dry, used Quaker State non-detergent 30 weight. Looks and runs like new.
On 8/26/2010 6:37 PM, willshak wrote:

The factory fills them with oil, tests them, maybe breaks them in a bit, then drains the oil and ships them. It wasn't just filled enough to test it, and if you've run it like that, you may have done damage and it won't be covered under the warranty.
Tony wrote the following:

Please reread my original message. At no time did I even hint at running it with whatever oil was left in there. My original question was what kind of oil, other than compressor oil, have others used with success. Yesterday, I did pick up some 30 weight ND oil at WalMart , as some had mentioned, filled it this morning,with the 30 ND oil, and lit it off for the very first time.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

He's right. What ever possessed you to run it without oil, especially for such a long period of time?
On 8/30/2010 7:40 PM, Bud wrote:

On 8/30/2010 4:15 PM, willshak wrote:

You wrote "They put enough oil in it to test it". That's enough for concern. Sorry my warning was too much for you.
Tony wrote the following:

Your warning was not too much for me. It was just misdirected since I never even plugged in the compressor in the 4 days I had it until after I filled it with oil. Besides, you did elaborate on what was done at the factory, so you shouldn't have a "concern" about what I wrote.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY