air compressor motor dies

Hi,

I am having some trouble with my ingersoll rand air compressor. It charges up to 110 psi with no problems and as long as I don't use any air tool I will have no problems. The problem is that when i do use any air tool, even just for a couple seconds, the air compressor motor will just turn off. It doesnt sound like there's a load on the motor when this happens, it doesnt slow down a little bit then stall. its more of as if someone just turned off a switch. I was hopeing someone could help me out here because I am stumped. BTW, i just replaced the unloader valve because i thought that was the problem but the same thing was happening with the new unloader. Any Ideas??

Reply to
joemik

Assuming it's a single phase capacitor start motor, I'd guess the starting capacitor is dead

Reply to
RBM

the starting capacitor, whats that?

BTW, its a honda gas engine.

Reply to
joemik

WTF! Why didn't you say that from the beginning? Leaving out a major piece of information does not help to find a solution. Starting capacitors are on electric motors, not gas engines. Most of us run compressors with electric motors.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I had a gas-powered compressor in the past. The mechanism that responds to the unloader must not be set right. The engine should slow down when the unloader is dumping air rather than putting it into the tank. When the unloader detects minimum pressure, two things should happen:

- the engine should accelerate to a higher rpm

- the unloader valve should close such that pump output goes >Hi,

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

Sorry bout the left out piece of info....The engien slows down correctly, at 110 psi. But once a use a small amount of air is used with an air tool, that is when it dies. Its not dying when it reaches a low psi at which the motor should accelerate. I can increase the throttle with my hand and it will still die when air is let out.

joe

Reply to
joemik