Air Compressor Leaks

I have a 2hp pancake air compressor that won't hold tank pressure. Than is, if I run it to full capacity of the tank (115PSI I think), and turn the compressor off, the tank quickly goes to zero pressure. Naturally I figure the leak is gaskets or some other type of seal. Is it worthwhile for me to try to determine where it is leaking? How difficult is it to find repair kits and to actually do a repair? I can get a new one for $100.
Thanks
Jethro
On > it worthwhile for me to try to determine where it is leaking? How

repairable. You use soapy water just as if you were looking for a gas leak. Rarely is it the tank that leaks but a fitting. Take the leaky assembly apart and put back together with teflon tape. Sometime the tank has a fitting which is designed to allow the removal of water in the tank. Be sure to check it also.

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I'll endeavor to try some suggestions and get back to you all.
Jethro

A spray bottle with soapy water can help find these leaks.

You should be able to easily hear a leak that size. If not, a spray bottle of soap and water should quickly locate it, unless the problem is a valve leak back through the compressor.
Bob

My leaks usually turn out to be trash in the regulator. Easily replaced. -Bob

I'll second that. Mine was a defective regulator. Replacement part was about $20, cheap and easy fix.

After that, hoses and couplings

Sure it's worthwhile looking. Many times this can be fixed just by tightening a fitting or dissassembly & cleaning of a small part. Using some slightly soapy water may help you find the leak; brush it on the suspect joint or part and look for bubbles. Items to check include any fittings, safety (pop-off) valve, unloader/check-valve, etc.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf.lonestar.org

Quickly sounds like a big leak. Can you hear it's location?
tom @ www.FreelancingProjects.com

Thanks everyone!
Got it 95% fixed. Replaced one seal on the air line coming out of the tank. Teflon should take care of the rest.
Sure glad I have friends out there.
Jethro