air compressor

I'd like some feed back on an air compressor.
What I want to do with it is to inflate tires on my pick up truck & car, do some air brushing on r/c models and spray paint wood deck rails. I'm thinking maybe a 120volt would do it the job.
--
<---=-Dilbert Firestorm-=--->
Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!
dilbert firestorm wrote:

Sometimes you can find these as low as $100 with free shipping:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/2b75bsf
It's one of the best of the small portable compressors.
-Bob

I've had one of those for five years, or so. They work quite well.
Bigger and still under $100 ($89.99 Saturday, according to today's HF-spam):
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-8-gallon-125-psi-portable-air-compressor-67501.html?utm_source=retail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaignR10c
On 12/30/2010 5:39 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-8-gallon-125-psi-portable-air-compressor-67501.html?utm_source=retail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaignR10cnothing that big, small and portable for storage in the truck. just something that'll be enough to get the job done.
--
<---=-Dilbert Firestorm-=--->
Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!
On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 17:48:34 -0600, dilbert firestorm

Something like this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/oil-compressors/1-3-4-quarter-hp-5-gallon-115-psi-twin-tank-air-compressor-94734.html
Or this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/oil-compressors/2-hp-4-gallon-115-psi-pancake-compressor-95499.html
Harbor Freight isn't my favorite brand, not by a long shot, but they're fine for occasional use.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/oil-compressors/1-3-4-quarter-hp-5-gallon-115-psi-twin-tank-air-compressor-94734.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/oil-compressors/2-hp-4-gallon-115-psi-pancake-compressor-95499.html
That little HF pancake compressor is OK for airing up car tires, but that's about it. (The air brush will be a piece of cake for any compressor) It will not really operate a blow gun or a sander or an air chisel, and probably not a sprayer.
The PC compressor has a larger tank and much higher pressure, but the overall package is not that much bigger, and it's not that much more expensive.
Bob

Yeah, I didn't notice that he wanted a paint sprayer. He's going to need a lot more than a small compressor, no matter how big the tank.

Airbrush will run with any of them, truck tires take a little bit better and powering a paint gun has the highest demand of all. The first 2 you can do with a 3 gallon tank and decent horsepower, 120v for sure. Probably less than a $100.
You need to look at the spray gun you want to use and see what the scfm requirements are then you have to buy a compressor and tank that can deliver that. I am fairly sure a 120v option will exist but it is going to cost more.
--
Colbyt

Your needs range from a 1 to a 7 on a 10 scale. The air brushing requires very little. Car and truck tires need up to 70psi, but just for a small volume. Deck spraying may require a lot of air for a long time.
Steve
On 12/30/2010 4:45 PM, Steve B wrote:

its just the deck rails and post that need to be repainted. that doesn't take up alot of air does it?
--
<---=-Dilbert Firestorm-=--->
Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!
?

Get a 4" roller and it won't take any air and yo won't have overspray.
For your other uses, a pancake compressor will work. The oiless ones are noisy, but they are inexpensive and fill your needs. Look for some of the package deals on the Porter Cable with brad nailers included.
On 12/30/2010 4:45 PM, Steve B wrote:

I guess any cheap spray gun would do as long as it isn't gravity fed.
--
<---=-Dilbert Firestorm-=--->
Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Watch Sears prices for that same compressor (Evolv) if you can wait. I got it, hose, brad gun, tire and air gun attachments for $59.99 last summer. Put all to good use. But they bumped the price, and it's $79.99 now.. I don't find it "good" for tires, just better than going to the gas station and popping in quarters. Has to recharge twice to get a 15" car tire from 15 psi to 35. To avoid wait time for tires don't wait until it shuts down at 100 psi. It gets to 90 pretty fast then takes forever to reach 100. Real handy for a brad gun and blowing out dust though.
--Vic