Air compressor

Hey
I need to gat an air compressor/pump for simple home use. Just to inflate car tires maybe other objects about the house but the big deal is our camper which requires 80 psi. I'm not looking for anything too fancy but I do want something to handle that load and not take all day to do it. Any suggestions? Where to purchase? Expected cost?
Thanks a lot, Ed
Well, the cheapies are just that, CHEAP! it might fill up the tire in about an hour. (these comps are under $100) Your next option is a portable type that requires 110 vt (not 12 vt), but they are LOUD! They work the best for the requirements you have. Then you have what I have an Ingersol Rand, (high cost @850.00) but quiet (kinda) I use mine for many other things other than filling tires. This thing will do everything I could possibly want.
I would say that what you are looking for is a Crapsman (sears) oil filled compressor, you can get it for around 200 and it will do what you need.]]
SD

There are many compressors in the $200 range that will give you a modest reserve and the pressure you need. The pancake compressors, such as the Porter Cable will work for that. Some come with kits that include staplers and nail guns. Any home center will have them.

Don't forget Harbor Freight, for $200 at HD or Lowes they have an equivalent performance and quality compressor for about $100.
Ed H wrote:

For that, I would buy the smallest and cheapest oil-filled compressor I could find. Something like this (but don't believe the 4HP rating, or even the 3HP in fine print, it's probably actually closer to 1.5HP):
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber234
The picture looks like a direct drive. I'd rather have belt-driven, but don't know what's available that small.
BTW, buying a brand name compressor does not get you honest horsepower or CFM ratings until you get into industrial brands, like Quincy.
Best regards, Bob

If you look at the manual they link it shows a normal 120v 15a plug. That pretty much limits you to a 1HP motor. I thought the class action suit against Campbell Hausfeld stopped this "peak HP" crap. Guess it is time to do it again

Aside from the normal places to check, check out Costco if you are near one. If you wanna chance a crapshoot there are the "Harbor Freight"s.
there is a 60 gallon upright tank air compressor at home depot for 350.00 . i think it would be a good choice for your situation.enough pressure and volume to fill that big tire,, would even run some air tools.
On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 09:35:57 -0400, "Ed H"

Works great. I use it to blow out my sprinkler lines. Bout a few cheap Harbor Freight tools to go with it. Spray painted a large fence last weekend...doing the deck neck wee. Comes in handy and works grreat.