Air cleaners with cleanable filters.

We are looking for an freestanding Aircleaner(or two) for our home. we have tried the Ionic Breeze( not even sure where we got that thing), but it needs cleaning every couple of days and makes an irritating "arching" zap when dirty which is irritating if it decides to do it an 2 a.m. We also had one of the Orecks some years ago, but the motor went bad on it and it would have been to costly to replace.

Anyway, is there a unit that does a good job that we would be able to wash the filter out, or has filters that don't cost an arm an a leg to replace every few weeks?

This doesn't need to be hospital grade air, just good cleaning and odor removal. Any suggestions?

Reply to
GotBonus?

If your Ionic Breezes are getting dirty after a couple of days, you need to find the source of the dirt. My Ionic Breeze is good for ~500 sqft. Maybe you need more than one IB?

If you think the zap is annoying try one of the fan powered cleaners, HUMMMMMMMM all the time. Then comes the expense of the filters, or washing them.

Reply to
SQLit

The Ionic Breeze is a waste of money unless you live within 6 inches of your machine all your life. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Hmmm, Maybe smoker(s) in the house? My electronic cleaner mounted on the heating system needs one cleaning per year.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I see them turn up in the used appliance stores or at Goodwill on occasion. That's as good a consumer a report as any. On technical grounds ion generators are bad for health. They stimulate the respiratory tract cilia to beat vigorously due to the ozone generated by the high voltage charge. Ozone damages cell membranes causing cell death.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

No smokers, but we live in Arizona, so it could be dust. What I am looking for are suggestions for good alternatives that don't cost a ton in filter replacement. I don't mind initial expense(reasonable) but I don't want ongoing filter costs, is there such an animal? Preferably room sized units.

Thanks

Reply to
GotBonus?

The Ionic Breeze is a POS. It does not move enough air to effectively clean anything. The velocities through the unit are very low, they range from 40 feet per minute (FPM) to 125 FPM. The plate area is very small as well. A good fan or system powered air cleaner will have higher velocities, 300 to 500 FPM and a much larger filter or plate area to filter much more air.

The Honeywell Enviracare is supposed to be a good unit, but it uses a prefilter and a HEPA. I don't know what filters cost. I would recommend a duct mounted electronic air cleaner such as Research Products 5000. Or Research Products Space Guard 2200 or 2400.

Electronic Air Cleaners should be cleaned every month. If they last a year between cleanings, there is something wrong.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

Wrong-O Stretch. The Aprilaire 5000 has a large surface area to reduce the amount of cleanings. I have many in customers homes that last a year before cleaning/replacing. Granted, many of them are older couples or clean freaks but they can easily last that long. If you have kids, pets and a lot of activity in the home, then 6 months is probably going to be your max. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Are the filters cleanable in the Aprilaire or must they be replaced? How much do the filters generallt cost and how many does it need?

Reply to
GotBonus?

The Aprilaire media filter (2200 & 2400) are replaceable only. Its a good filter. Cost varies from probably $25 to $50 or more depening where you purchase it. The Aprilaire 5000 is an electronic/media filter. The screen, ionizing wires and housing can get brushed/wiped or vacuumed. The electronic media in it gets replaced only. Prices is approx $5 -$10 higher but again, varies on where you purchase it. The filters last between 6 months to a year but should still be checked every month or so to be safe. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba