Air cleaners - are electronic better than filters?

Hi,
I have a house with electronic air filter that is connected to my furnace. Are these things any good? Are regular mechanical filters are as good? Furnace I am buying comes with airfilter (4 inch thick) and I was wandering if I should keep electronic air cleaner (still works, but old) or replace it mechanical one.
Thanks
Mattew Pork wrote:

Some are some are not. Of course only the ones that are working right are good.

Different. Again some are much better than others.

I suspect that, unless you have some special problems, the new filter will work just fine. However, check how often that filter needs to be replaced and just how much it cost to replace. Also check to see if your current electronic filter is worth saving and if it will work in your new system. The Tech should be able to tell you.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math