air cleaner

I work in an environment where there is second-hand smoke. I am considering buying a portable air-cleaner to take with me to that job. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Reply to
Betsy

Have you talked to management about this? Aren't they aware of the dangers of second hand smoke? That is the first step - get the !@#$%^&* smokers outside the building. Even if the boss turns you down, you need to voice your feelings about breathing other people's noxious emissions. What are the local laws concerning smoking in the workplace?

I don't think any personal sized air cleaner is going to do much good in an office, unless the room is small and has a door you can close.

If I were in your situation I would find another job right away. Seriously. Like my mother, I am allergic to tobbaco smoke and I feel physically ill immediately when I smell the stink.

Good luck.

John

John Davies TLCA 14732

'96 Lexus LX450 '00 Audi A4 1.8T quattro Spokane WA USA

Reply to
John Davies

Sorry to say it, but John is right. There is not a lot you can do on your own unless you have an office with a door that closes.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Make a real statement: buy a WWII surplus gas mask and wear it at work when things get smoggy. Beyond that you might need to research commercial air clarifiers that are used in nightclubs, bars, etc. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Walmart has some portable HEPA air cleaners which work good. Get the largest model and the fan noise will be the most quiet.

HEPA air cleaners (the best air filtering you can buy) are also good for allergies and can filter illness causing particles out of the air. Point the clean air output toward where you sit.

Reply to
Bill

I dought if one will work, you are better off getting together with other non smokers and protest that smoking be done outdoors

Reply to
m Ransley

Let me say on behalf of outdoor smokers everywhere, Screw You John. Why don't you go outside the building?

When the tobacco war starts, I will be on the other side of the barricades.

If you don't care about my rights, why should I care about yours?

Gary R. Lloyd

"When the boot of government is on your neck, it doesn't matter if it's left or right"

Reply to
Gary R. Lloyd

Check with your HR office to see if there is an indoor clean air act in your state, and how the company plans to comply with it. This is common in Blue states (those that voted Kerry), but uncommon in Red states (those that voted Bush). It has nothing to do with Kerry or Bush, it just happens that is how the law is implemented, in general.

-john-

Reply to
John A. Weeks III

Reply to
Bob Landry

You do have rights but your right to smoke inside is harmful to those who do not smoke. You've made the choice to poison your body...that is your right. Non smokers have chosen not to put their bodies thru' that, that is their right. Much easier for you to smoke outside than it is for a non smoker not to breath the air inside.

Reply to
99windstar

I'm all for you smoking several cartons of cigarettes a day. All I ask is that when you have difficulty breathing, you won't come to the hospital to complain about how you can't breathe. I can't fix it, and I don't enjoy listening to the COPDers whining about shortness of breath.

Go smoke another cigarette.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Well, I find it annoying that my coworkers force me to go into the bathroom when all I need to do is fart. It can't possibly smell worse than your cigarette.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Gary , That Dutch study was done by drugged up Dutchies with their liberal drug laws, you are stupid enough to believe it. I go out side to smoke , I smoke, it stinks. Why should you be allowed to harm or bother anyone. Do you drink and drive to.

Reply to
m Ransley

At one of the last places that I worked, they built such a smoking room out in the parking ramp. The smokers were so filthy that the president of the company shut it down. The janitors wouldn't go in there because of the danger from the smoke, and the smokers wouldn't bother to take out their trash and they always put their butts on the ground.

-john-

Reply to
John A. Weeks III

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote

If your coworkers actually force you to go into a bathroom, maybe it's to check to see if you shit yourself.

Think cork!

Reply to
Benny

  1. There are NO studies alleging ANY connection between second-hand smoke and ANY deleterious health consequences. ALL such claims to the contrary are PC bullshit. Just like the hysteria over asbestos.
  2. If one doesn't like the working environment, quit. Get a job more hospitable to your finely-honed sensitivities. Florist or slip-cover designer come to mind.
  3. Voice your feelings or snitch me out if you want. Your ass is fired, arson, embezzelment, something, one way or another. Further, I'll make it my mission to see you spend the rest of your otherwise productive life putting band-aids on syphilitic sailors in Guantanamo.

Agreed. Good advice.

Give it two, three minutes; the smell disappears. If you do break out in hives, anaphylactic shock, or some other physical, life-threatening symptom, I believe you can get shots.

Reply to
JerryMouse

Geeeez... Take a pill.

Gary R. Lloyd

"When the boot of government is on your neck, it doesn't matter if it's left or right"

Reply to
Gary R. Lloyd

Does the hospital know you judge patients according to their illnesses? If they did you would probably find yourself in the unemployment line.

You are a disgrace to your profession.

Gary R. Lloyd

"When the boot of government is on your neck, it doesn't matter if it's left or right"

Reply to
Gary R. Lloyd

That study was done by the dutch government, in a effort to find out if they could save money on their cradle to grave health care system by prohibiting smoking.

Gary R. Lloyd

"When the boot of government is on your neck, it doesn't matter if it's left or right"

Reply to
Gary R. Lloyd

They need to hire a janitor who smokes. Duhhhhh...