air cleaner

Page 1 of 3
I work in an environment where there is second-hand smoke. I am considering buying a portable air-cleaner to take with me to that job. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Have you talked to management about this? Aren't they aware of the dangers of second hand smoke? That is the first step - get the !@#$%^&* smokers outside the building. Even if the boss turns you down, you need to voice your feelings about breathing other people's noxious emissions. What are the local laws concerning smoking in the workplace?
I don't think any personal sized air cleaner is going to do much good in an office, unless the room is small and has a door you can close.
If I were in your situation I would find another job right away. Seriously. Like my mother, I am allergic to tobbaco smoke and I feel physically ill immediately when I smell the stink.
Good luck.
John
John Davies TLCA 14732 http://home.comcast.net/~johnedavies / '96 Lexus LX450 '00 Audi A4 1.8T quattro Spokane WA USA
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 07:28:33 -0800, John Davies

Let me say on behalf of outdoor smokers everywhere, Screw You John. Why don't you go outside the building?

When the tobacco war starts, I will be on the other side of the barricades.

If you don't care about my rights, why should I care about yours?
Gary R. Lloyd
"When the boot of government is on your neck, it doesn't matter if it's left or right"
You do have rights but your right to smoke inside is harmful to those who do not smoke. You've made the choice to poison your body...that is your right. Non smokers have chosen not to put their bodies thru' that, that is their right. Much easier for you to smoke outside than it is for a non smoker not to breath the air inside.
smokers outside the building.

I'm not taking sides, but we need to get terms straight. There are no "rights" when it comes to smoking. Smoking, like driving (and sometimes fishing) is a privilege, not a right. It is something that a person is allowed to do under a certain set of circumstances. This may be a license or it may be permission from another party or just a lack of objection. Rights and privileges are not interchangeable terms.
"99windstar" wrote ...

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:28:17 -0400, "JoKing"

On the contrary, you have a right to put whatever you want in your body, because you own yourself. Because you own yourself, you have certain unalienable rights (rights from which you cannot be separated) to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. This is the basis of a free society.
If you do not own yourself, then there is no such thing as rights. Everything is a privelege. This is the basis of a totalitarian society.
We have long been headed in the direction of totalitarianism. For our own good, of course.
_______________________________
Liberals are thieves and dictators, unlike conservatives who are dictators and thieves.
John Davies wrote:

1. There are NO studies alleging ANY connection between second-hand smoke and ANY deleterious health consequences. ALL such claims to the contrary are PC bullshit. Just like the hysteria over asbestos.
2. If one doesn't like the working environment, quit. Get a job more hospitable to your finely-honed sensitivities. Florist or slip-cover designer come to mind.
3. Voice your feelings or snitch me out if you want. Your ass is fired, arson, embezzelment, something, one way or another. Further, I'll make it my mission to see you spend the rest of your otherwise productive life putting band-aids on syphilitic sailors in Guantanamo.

Agreed. Good advice.

Give it two, three minutes; the smell disappears. If you do break out in hives, anaphylactic shock, or some other physical, life-threatening symptom, I believe you can get shots.

Geeeez... Take a pill.
Gary R. Lloyd
"When the boot of government is on your neck, it doesn't matter if it's left or right"

Can you say "denial"?

Just another one of those "considerate smokers" that we are told eliminate the need for laws regulating smoking.
Bob

Pussy
message smokers outside the building. Even if the boss turnsyou

Jerk.
Didn't this start out as a request for information on air cleaners?
Can we all say "polarization"? ;)

Yep. That's what our country has come to. There has to be a law for everything. One side gets to dictate to the other side. If the other side doesn't like it, tough shit. Forget about talking things over and working things out. Or agreeing to disagree and going our separate ways. Those days are gone. We have become a house divided.
Gary R. Lloyd CMS HVACR Troubleshooting Books/Software http://www.techmethod.com
Sorry to say it, but John is right. There is not a lot you can do on your own unless you have an office with a door that closes.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
<< I work in an environment where there is second-hand smoke. I am considering buying a portable air-cleaner to take with me to that job. Does anyone have any recommendations? >>
Make a real statement: buy a WWII surplus gas mask and wear it at work when things get smoggy. Beyond that you might need to research commercial air clarifiers that are used in nightclubs, bars, etc. Good luck.
Joe
Walmart has some portable HEPA air cleaners which work good. Get the largest model and the fan noise will be the most quiet.
HEPA air cleaners (the best air filtering you can buy) are also good for allergies and can filter illness causing particles out of the air. Point the clean air output toward where you sit.
"Betsy" wrote in message

I dought if one will work, you are better off getting together with other non smokers and protest that smoking be done outdoors

Check with your HR office to see if there is an indoor clean air act in your state, and how the company plans to comply with it. This is common in Blue states (those that voted Kerry), but uncommon in Red states (those that voted Bush). It has nothing to do with Kerry or Bush, it just happens that is how the law is implemented, in general.
-john-
John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708 snipped-for-privacy@johnweeks.com
Gary R. Lloyd wrote:

I'm all for you smoking several cartons of cigarettes a day. All I ask is that when you have difficulty breathing, you won't come to the hospital to complain about how you can't breathe. I can't fix it, and I don't enjoy listening to the COPDers whining about shortness of breath.
Go smoke another cigarette.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 21:56:44 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

Does the hospital know you judge patients according to their illnesses? If they did you would probably find yourself in the unemployment line.
You are a disgrace to your profession.