ahmed the clock kid...

The timer looks like an IED and a timer can be used as an IED. It certainly looks more dangerous than a pop tart.

It's like bringing a pretend gun to school. It is against the rules to bring anything into school to try to cause panic.

The zero tolerance policy gives the teachers no choice.

The kid that made a gun out of a pop tart said he wasn't even trying to make a gun. He was trying to make a mountain but it turned out looking more like a gun.

I had a neighbor who's kid was suspended. The kid drew a picture of his teacher with a gun pointed to him/her.

Zero tolerance is madness but it is not Islamophobia.

By his on testimony, he is aware that it could look suspicious.

He also says it is put together from scrap. Do you think his "invention" was made from scrap?

Reply to
Seymore4Head

San Bernadino changes that. Or it should.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Whoa there trader_4! That sounds like you are on the verge of going over to the dark side with obummer and the lyin' bitch what's her name.

Please say it isn't so.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

"CLIFTON, N.J. (WABC) -- Officials released more information Friday in the case of four New Jersey elementary school students who were allegedly behind a plot to blow up Clifton High School.

The children, ages 10 and 11, are fifth-graders at Clifton Elementary School #11.

Passaic County Prosecutor Camelia Valdes said it was determined that the group devised an immature and unrealistic plot to bomb the high school in response to a perceived bullying incident involving someone one of them knows, who attends the high school.

The confiscated "bomb" consisted of an empty mini Altoids tin that contained vegetable oil, salad dressing and cinnamon sticks. Officials say it was neither flammable nor dangerous, nor did any student possess any type of lighting device."

"None of the juveniles were arrested, taken into custody or charged in this matter. They will be required to enter into a Station House Adjustment Agreement with the Clifton Police Department, wherein they will be required to undergo mandatory counseling. A station house adjustment is a diversion from formal prosecution, which is reserved for first time offenders."

Science class isn't what it used to be if they thought they could build a bomb out of Miracle Whip. We did a lot better when I was a kid and most of us lived through the experience with all our original parts.

Reply to
rbowman

Yeah, give him and the family a free meal coupon for Chipolte...

Reply to
rbowman

If he had a son he'd be a little genius just like that. I wonder what grade he got on his science project; it was pretty lame.

Reply to
rbowman

The clock once you look at it, looks exactly like an electronic clock to me. In fact, a few days later, someone identified it as exactly that, a RS clock, just from the pics. Also a timer can't be used as an IED, it can only be used as one component of an IED. Cell phones are commonly used too. Do they call the cops for people that have one of those?

I haven't seen evidence that he tried to, intended to, cause panic. I'd like to see the list of prohibited items that the school better have. I bet electronic clocks aren't on it.

Well, that's exactly part of the problem. I can see the school officials taking a look at it, taking it away to give it back at the end of the day and telling him not to bring it or similar back. But calling in the cops seems extreme. At least some cops seem to agree. The student dragged out of her chair by the cop, the police chief said that the schools should be dealing with incidents like that themselves. This case fits that too. But like you say, the PC culture has lead to this nutty zero tolerance policy, where no one wants to or can do the simple, right thing, instead they just kick it up the chain. What's next, call the ATF and FBI?

And I don't think it was proper to discipline the kid for that either. But did they call the cops and did the cops handcuff him?

I can see and agree with that. THAT is an actual threat.

I didn't say or imply that what happened was islamophobia.

That's a good video with a lot of info and background that I was unaware of. I didn't know that the first teacher he showed it to told him it looked like a bomb and not to show it to anyone else. And that he continued to show it, had it plugged in and the alarm went off during class, etc. I also had never seen the interview where he says he put a wire through the latch to make it look "less suspicious"? Makes no sense and like you say, does show that he knew it could look suspicious.

I thought at the time, when a few days later it came out that the "invention" or whatever you want to call it was just a RS clock put into a case, that the media was running amok. They were making him out as some kind of genius kid, when what he did was trivial. At that age, I was buying electronic kits, putting together designs from magazines, etc.

I also watched the second video, where it comes out that he's been in plenty of trouble before, looks like he's out to cause disturbances, get attention, etc.

So, I agree his case should get tossed. But I wouldn't be surprised if they give him $$ to settle it.

Agree, I never saw that prior to the video.

No, absolutely not. Like I said above, when a few days later someone showed how from pics it was clearly a RS clock, I thought at that point that was all it was and the media is just silly. Also, in that video, he says he put it together in 20 mins. That's the time it would take to stuff a RS clock into a case. It's not the time it would take if he was actually designing a clock out of components or even boards, etc. So, in the video he's clearly lying too, with some BS about using a board, assembling it, etc.

Reply to
trader_4

See my latest post. I'm mostly back from the edge.

Reply to
trader_4

I imagine if you had the phone cracked open and wires coming off the vibrator motor to a "black box" the bomb squad would get a call. Plastic explosive can be formed into any shape you like.

I agree with those who say this kid tried to make it look like a bomb, even though there was no explosive involved. It certainly fits into the "no tolerance" policy as well as the pop tart gun. (or just pointing your finger and saying bang) The policy may be stupid but if that is what they are doing, you should not be surprised when they have stupid results.

Reply to
gfretwell

A drawing on a piece of paper is a threat? From a mid schooler? Please!

Reply to
Seymore4Head

Uh, read you loud and clear on this. Another non political issue turned into one. Since the first I've thought they were on the money trail. The prez involved Ha. Some "project" Follow the money. It's for the kids. Distract from Billary whatever. End of rant-for now.

Reply to
Tekkie®

rbowman posted for all of us...

oh shit.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Gordon Shumway posted for all of us...

He don't know. He has his head up his ass. Valerie Jarrett (sp) probably wanted to pile on the publicity, as they so often do.

Reply to
Tekkie®

rbowman posted for all of us...

It bombed. D- oh wait a minute we can't have grades any more so he showed up that day so it means "Great job participant" and gets a trophy. Maybe Radio Shack can get out of bankruptcy by suing the kid for patent infringement or something.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Oren posted for all of us...

He will ignore it like he does every other important issue. Global warming, gun control and golf are important. He's probably going to scout out that area for a new course to play.

Reply to
Tekkie®

You mean he be heading to the golf course.

The only beheading he seems to want to know about.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Oren posted for all of us...

Oh and Valerie is there with her strap on? He's all ass...

Reply to
Tekkie®

Ralph Mowery posted for all of us...

He's get the head of the club in his hand...

Reply to
Tekkie®