Ahhh, who needs stinkin' $1 Piece of Kickout Flashing

Woman thought she just needed some new siding. Told her I thought it was a bit more involved than that. She says there was a small tree there that caused it. I sent her the pics of the grand opening yesterday. Oh you betcha i had the hidden damage bit in the paperwork!
Missing Kickout: http://tinypic.com/r/opv1hh/4 Looks kind of innocent.
Proper kickout: http://tinypic.com/r/28v39qt/4
What it did to the wall below: http://tinypic.com/r/11s01ok/4
That joist header needs some duct tape: http://tinypic.com/r/344xyt4/4
Add pictures here
✖

You need more than just duct tape for a proper job. Put some aluminum foil and then the tape. You can get a better markup on the job too when you add in the materials.
Add pictures here
✖

Great pics. Real convincing for doing it right. Besides duct tape and aluminum foil, mustn't forget a dab of Bondo where it shows...
Joe
Add pictures here
✖

 http://tinypic.com/r/344xyt4/4
Thanks for the ack Joe. You and Ed have marketing skills with the aluminum and Bondo stuff.
"But wait! There's More!!"
End of fascia board at gutter end was soft as well as soffit. No surprise but more than I would have thought. Removed gutter and fascia board. Rafter cap got trashed too.
http://tinypic.com/r/209nlhv/4
Not because of the missing kickout though. The fascia board was installed too high, above the roof angle plane. The gutter installer took advantage of that to get gutter slope. End of shingles were actually turing up like a ski jump. I'm guessing it led to water running down (because they were turned up) the backside of the end shingles on to the top edge of the fascia board.
One minor correction to original post. Not $1. Step flash piece was 32 cents.
Add pictures here
✖
Red Green wrote:

Ever seen that series on The History Chanel called "Life After People"? Your pictures remind me of it.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖

Afraid not. Just have freebie digital broadcast. Watch very very little TV at all.
Add pictures here
✖
Red Green wrote:

It's amazing, they use video of abandoned towns like those around Chernobyl to show what happens when buildings are left to nature.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖

Well....atoms are nature :-)
Add pictures here
✖
Red Green wrote:

It's incredible what the plant life does to the structures. Tiny seeds get into every little crack and crevasse and basically pry everything apart as they sprout and grow.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
Red Green wrote:

In my experience, nature is a nasty old bitch, and will happily knock down and destroy what you spend years creating. Entropy always wins eventually- life is just one long delaying tactic.
-- aem sends...
Add pictures here
✖

In nature's experience, humans are beeeeeches and will happily knock down and destroy what it spend eons creating.
Add pictures here
✖
Red Green wrote:

Well, Yeah, I wasn't trying to imply otherwise. From mother nature's viewpoint, humans are just a nasty lingering infection. But the bottom line is, Nature WILL win in the end. Perhaps if humankind could figure out how to make it a symbiotic relationship?
-- aem sends...
Add pictures here
✖

Everything was fine until a few hundred or so years ago!
Add pictures here
✖