Agitator removal in portable Kenmore washer (model 11094572200)

I don't know what else to try without risking major damage. I have the exploded diagrams from www3.sears.com but they're not clear on this particular issue. This machine has a one piece agitator as opposed to the majority. It has a small 1/4" screw on the side of the agitator, about

2/3 of the way down. This is the first thing I removed. The top of the agitator comes off easily enough, that's where the lint trap is. Under it is plastic piece that looks like a 3-pointed star with the points cut off. It is not clear if this is part of agitator or the part that sits under it and connects to the transmissino shaft.

What I've tried so far (and nothing has worked)

o Tried to pull the agitator straight up by hand - wouldn't budge. o Tried to pull it by passing rope and wires throught the holes in the vanes and around a 4X4 lying on top of the machine, and twisting the ropes with a stick. I applied enough pressure that the agitator was dramatically deformed (temporarily) but it wouldn't budge. o After immobilizing the transmission and motor pulley from below with clamps, tried to turn the agitator, in case it is somehow screwed to the part below or the transmission shaft. It wouldnt' budge. I even used an oil filter removal tool to get some leverage. Nothing. o Tried to raise the star-like piece by passing a metal hook through the openings (in case that piece was just a cover of some kind covering the shaft nut/screw) and pulling up. No good. Not enough space to get a good grip with the metal rod. This leads me to believe that this piece is not just a cover. o Removed the motor/transmission assembly from below in case the whole shaft could come out that way, but after sliding out about 4" that was it. From the diagrams, it appears that the spline is wider than the shaft, so that makes sense.

I need to remove the agitator to get access to the shaft seal to replace it. The washer leaks.

Does anyone know how to remove this agitator? Thanks. Hopefully someone can give me a clue...

Reply to
The Eclectic One

This site has good advice and pictures to get appliances apart.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

"David L. Martel" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com: