Aging galvanized metal quickly

I have a client who would like to make galvanized metal, chicken wire, look far older than it is. She is trying to match or at least get close to some that has been used in lieu of a kitchen cabinet panel.

I know for a fact that dish machine soap discolors it some. The color she is trying to achieve is about the color of a well circulated penny. Hmm. I wonder if the wire in the cabinet is copper?

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

For brass, bronze and copper check out this site

Galvanized metal is hard to etch because it is intended to resist oxidation. I think an Alkaline solution might do the trick. Try ammonia and salt with a bit of soap for a mild etch. Try caustic cleaners like Drano or bathroom cleaners next.

For acids try muriatic, acetic (vinegar) or toilet cleaner (same as muriatic, HCL). Acids are more likely to impart a rusty result.

Just leaving it outdoors on the wet ground under some leaves will achieve an old look within weeks. Rotting leaves give off low concentrations of hydrofluoric acid which is why it can etch glass bottles left outside.

Reply to
PipeDown

Follow up my own post with an update. After a bit of goggle I actually found a site that sells copper mesh aka copper chicken wire.

We now have a happy client and an slightly over budget contractor.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt