Aftermarket AC Recharge Kits?

My 2001 Ford F150 doesn't seem to be blowing as cool as it used too last year. It's still cool, but definitely not cold. Is it worth the $30 to try one of those recharge kits with the built in leak detector/sealer? Or is this a $100 deal at Ford?
on 8/17/2007 2:15 PM snipped-for-privacy@hotmelt.com said the following:

If the difference is $70 between the two, I would go with Ford.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

What will get for $100 at the dealer? If it's just a recharge, then try the $30 AM stuff. If it's full system check with some credit for the diagnostic fee if you need a evaporator or compressor, then go for it. It's there's no credit for the diag fee, I'll bet you can get the whole job done cheaper at a local AC repair shop,
BTW There are products that are supposed to seal minor leaks in AC systems. I tried one via a local guy that gave me a one year guarantee in June. The system blew cold for the summer but when I checked it in April of the next year, it wasn't working again. I got all my money back and then donated the van.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

In addition, you can buy the major parts online (say, a compressor) and the dealership will install it. You'll pay labor, of course, and evacuation and re-charge, but the parts should be about half price.

Do some dealers actually install parts you bought somewhere else?

no. In fact, if I was a dealer, that's what I would do. The quality of parts varies greatly. I can see all sorts of trouble arising out of situations like this. For example, suppose you bring the dealer a cheap Chinese knock off of some part, and when they go to put it in the holes are off or it cracks when they tighten it? Then a pissing match starts as to whose fault it is and who has to pay for it, the extra labor, etc.

In my case, a Houston Chevrolet dealership installed an A/C compressor, dryer, and valve I bought from a company in Arizona (at less than half the dealer's parts department price).
You have a point regarding the guarantees, etc., but the service department profit bucket is not connected to the parts department profit bucket. Whether the parts department makes money is of minor significance to the service department.
Anyway, it's easy enough to call the dealership's service department. "Will you install after-market parts?"
id just get a can of freon with the hose and guage and put it in ,,see how long it lasts.have never seen success with the stop leak.. i got an old ford, been puttin in one can every spring for a few years.once you have the guage and hose, a can is only 5.00 or so. lucas
I don't know where are you located but in north eastern part diagnoses will cost you more then $100 then is plus material and plus labor whatever need to be fix I know because my friend just had it done. by Tony

snipped-for-privacy@hotmelt.com wrote:

I did just that with my 94 jeep, worked ok, I end up putting about four cans of recharge in it every year still but the AC works!
Clark

Does that work for your underpants too? Wait till their full of shit, then peel them off? Saves a bunch of cash in toilet paper.
GET THE LEAK FIXED or STOP POLLUTING.
Noozer wrote:

If you want to kiss me, I'm afraid I'll have to ask you to wash your mouth first.