Afraid of heights...Shower faucet replacement

I will be replacing my single handled delta shower faucet soon due to consistantly dripping that I can't stop. (replaceing all components multiple times). My question deals with the shower insert/fiberglass surround. Can I do this through the faucet hole? or must I cut a hole in the wall behind the shower faucet? The wall behind the faucet is 14 feet up in a stairwell...herein lies my delemma! Any help is appreciated. DavidM
Almost didn't read your post, looked like a troll from the title. Post the model number of your faucet and maybe someone can give you a way to fix it. I doubt you will be able to change it from the shower side. Is it a one piece surround?
RayV wrote:

I agree; you're not going to change it out from either side.
If necessary, put a call in to Delta. There is no good reason that it can't be repaired.
Were you using genuine Delta parts? First thing they'll ask.
Jim

Location sucks. I had to cut a hole in the wall. In my case, it was just to the side of a vanity and I hung a mirror over the hole making for easy access if there is a next time. At 14' it will be a real PITA. and a mirror will look silly there ;)
Tell your plight to Delta customer service and they may have a better idea.
There are shower retrofit valves that have very large face plates on the front to cover the necessary hole you will need to make in the shower wall. Usually about 6"-8" wide and 5"-7" tall. Just big enough to remove the two handle unit and fit the new valve and elbows into the wall (and a little room to solder). Come to think of it, most of these single handle valves (pressure balanced control) have large face plates.
You may also want to consider a shower panel unit like this http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id 36968 Many vendors and a spectrum of prices available but these are designed to retrofit a shower stall with body spray etc and come mostly pre plummed. These are plenty big enough to cover any hole you make ripping out the old faucet.

davidm wrote:

I've had to do three or four of that sort of replacement and, while doable, the cutting and fitting and soldering is not a quick process even when on a nice comfortable floor. If I was forced to do the job that high up in the air I'd certainly spend the extra money and rent a scaffold. They aren't very expensive and they aren't nearly as scary as a wobbly ladder.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]