AFCIs on a 220v circuit, sort of

Page 2 of 2
I appreciate your comments. Understand though that all this started due to misdirection from the electrical inspector! He was surely correct that AFCIs are required in bedrooms, but failed to put that fact together with the common ground issue. He should either have told me a) I must bite the bullet and re-run a circuit to one room, abandoning one leg of my 12/3 OR acknowledge that the first inspector passed my 220v ganged breaker and left things as they were. Instead he told me to install AFCIs where it seems they can not physically work.
emichael
Tom The Great wrote:

Dude! Wiring is no hobby and you don't know what you are doing, so hire a licensed Electrical Contractor. Put your family up in a Hotel until you get someone qualified to check out your "Cluster F" of a job. You will burn down your home if you try hard enough!
e michael brandt wrote:

e michael brandt wrote:

You can buy 12/2+2 with ground cable for the purpose of supplying two AFCI protected circuits in one cable run. Both Square D and Cutler Hammer offer two pole common neutral AFCIs but the price is very high. You will only find them through an electrical supply house. General Electric's version can be seen at <http://www.arcadvisor.com/afci.html .
--
Tom Horne

I had read that such cable was to be available. I , but did not know it was already on the market. This is good info for the future, but unfortunately the horse is out of this barn. After running the cable (this one and others) up to the attic, I filled the chase with blown insulation and foam so there is no longer any way to run cable easily.
What i really need now is AFCIs that go into the outlet box. Are they on the near horizon that you know of?
emichael
Tom Horne, Electrician wrote:

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 00:50:10 GMT, e michael brandt

This is not a how-to, but to get you familar with how maybe an electrician can help you.
1. Order an expensive double-pole AFCI breaker for your current wiring method and panel.
or
2. Pull the orginal wire(12/3) down into a small load center, then installed AFCI's in that load center then feed you bedrooms.
or
3. Tape to the end of the 12/3 some 12/2/2 and pull. The 12/3 might feed back to your panel and then you will have the correct wire and do a normal AFCI installation.
or
4. A combination of these listed, or other ideas.
See? The idea is that you NEED a qualified electrician to help, and home inspectors only evaluate overall work, they don't tell YOU (or who does the work) how to do their job, it is their (or YOU) responsiblity.
Good luck, and please tell us what happens in follow-ups.
later,
tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com

Tom, you are indeed great. i am thrilled to learn that there are actually double pole AFCI's, designed for shared neutrals like mine! Altho pricey, that is the way to go. A simple solution. thanks so much.
emichael
Tom The Great wrote:

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 22:09:30 GMT, e michael brandt

Like baby pigeons, I've never seen a double pole AFCI, but I guess they exist from practicle need, and people told me so.
Good luck, do a quick google search with information of what type of panel you have.
Good luck, but I stand by the suggestion you get a licensed/qualified electricion going forward.
later,
tom @ www.BlankHelp.com