Advice to keep cars from sliding into my yard on bad curve.

911 gets calls from me at least once a month and the police and rescue people all know me because they spend so much time cleaning up in front of my house. As I said, this is not at all unusual.
Let's see, in December, someone abandoned a stolen truck (we're assuming) and torched it on a side street next to our property at 2am. You can still see the big patch of melted asphalt, but at least our trees are re-growing.
January 4th was the first roll-over of the year. Some lady tried to make a turn, whacked into a pick-up going 50 with an old man, a 4-year old kid and her father in the front. The truck went over a couple times, ended up on it's side against one of our bushes next to the driveway. Old man had broken ribs but everyone else was alright.
February 12, we had a kid in his brand new convertable end up upside down next to the house. No injuries but his car was totalled.
We should start a betting pool on this, we'd get rich.
Can we get a picture of this? Or an address? I'd love to see why this curve is so...alluring?
Brian Henderson wrote:

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 16:40:21 -0800, Halvey

Mine isn't the curve, that was whoever started this thread. I just have a 2-way stop sign on a busy street and nobody looks before just rolling through the stop.
Brian Henderson wrote:

You really need to get a box of those Olympic event scoring numbers so you can provide dramatic feeedback. Once you get into it, separate scores for technican and artistic might be good! :)
The above one sounds like a 7.5 - 8 for technical and probably only a 4 or 5 for artistic.
Tim
--
No BoomBoom for me! - snipped-for-privacy@BoomBoomVerizon.net

You need to set up a camera to record this, you can sell the footage to americas funniest video etc. Just tape everything and if nothjing happened reuse the tape.
--
free men own guns - slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Outside of the road department, you could:
1. Remove several feet of dirt from the ditch or edge of the yard and fill with sand. (Put soft drink machine on porch for those waiting for wrecker, $9 per soda. Install internet access kiosk, slot machines.)
2. Stack two layers of railroad ties on edge of property with dirt berm on the house side.
3. Buy a wrecker, charge $75 -$125 to pull them out.
4. Make a deal with a local wrecker to be the only approved wrecker, with a $75 - $125 up charge. Charge storage fee of $75 - $125 per hour for use of unapproved wrecker.
Be sure to post a sign with the rules and a "Moving this sign constitutes your agreement and acceptance of the policy and charges."
5. Fabricate a big scary looking high pressure gas main/valve assembly out of wood and Sonotube with the requisite scary looking danger, imminent death signs.
6. Put up Day Spa sign. charge $200 per hour to rub mud from ditch on them.
7. Buy a gutted car of the same model as your local law enforcement, paint to match and put a strobe in the light bar. Park this in your yard, if folks don't slow down for that, the "police" car will stop them from sliding into your yard. You should be OK parking your movie props anywhere you want. For added protection put a for sale sign in the prop cop car window.
IIRC, there was this little town with a highway dividing it in two. The speed limit was too high for the townsfolk but the government entity would not lower it. The residents along the highway got together and built a bunch of brightly colored sculptures to place along the roadside. Cars slow down to get a better look at the sculptures.
Get trashed machine tools, line them up at the property line with sale signs, charge too much for the rusty stuff. Machine tools may not be much of an attention getter, but a few 2000 lb chucks of iron will impede the progress of any car. An old tractor may not be too much of an eyesore for yard decoration/protection. If it gets hit enough you may be able to restore it from the proceeds.
It's harder to stop them than charge them.
Call the cops every time it happens and get them to make a report, even if the offender is gone. Keep copies of these reports.
Take the copies of the reports to the commissioners/city council and ask for a speed bump be installed. When they don't, ask them what you can do. Document it and make it happen.
If it were my yard, I'd use Claymore mines....

Claymores are people deterents,
land mines are the ticket, but when his kids or neighbors walk on them. Then what?
My vote: Throw grenades into the cars that get onto the property, maybe not into them. But, close enough. That they'll have to go home and wash the double bacon strips out of their shorts!
Refinish King

The claymore will pepper the car with the pellets. It won't hurt the people, but do an (hopefully) good bit of damage to the car.
After all, it was the cars fault it was in the yard, not the drivers. It's sort of like it's the guns fault some one's dead, not the person that pulled the trigger.
message

Claymores have the force to penetrate non armored people transporters:
ie: Humvees, Jeeps, Officer's vehicles. Do you propose a passenger car has more defense than a military vehicle?
just a thought?
Refinish King
PS
This is all merely conjecture, the property owner will do, whatever he is told to do by his "LEGAL COUNCIL"
We are all just conjecturing our wishful thinking!

at 06:16 AM, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Don) said:

Park a D8 in front of the yard?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@boltblue.com         John Lloyd - Cymru/Wales

hope hes got a big front yard...

If they hit it hard enough to move the D8, you should DEFINATELY have a case to have the cops cite them for speeding.
--
Anthony

snipped-for-privacy@cwcom.net wrote:

They just hate it when the dozer color clashes with the house paint.
Tim
--
No BoomBoom for me! - snipped-for-privacy@BoomBoomVerizon.net

The Guy wrote:

So get hold of an old Patton tank and paint it camo on the house side and she'll not see it. A remote to swing the turret at will and some blank rounds might add to the impression.
mj
On 2 Mar 2004 06:16:33 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Don) wrote:

1) Move
2) Get the county to install a guardrail
3) Big trees, preferably 50 year oaks
4) Lawyers
Jeff
On 02 Mar 2004, Don wrote:

That sounds like a plan, unless you can get somebody with a pile driver to sink about 6 concrete pillars for ya.
Make it narrow and as deep as you can stand it, you want to get the car to fall in, not just stop!. Maybe the local "news" of a car or two being stuck there for a day until they could be dug out by a dozer would get people to slow the hell down?
--
No more big'uns for me, now I'm a 'Venture Capitalist'.
I've learned to totally appreciate 'Small Firms'.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Don) wrote in message

1K or so with or without the insurance company. An old friend of mine had cars in the bottom of his driveway just for that purpose and always had play money.

Spend a small fortune and have some giant redwoods trucked in and lined up along the curve. They're a bitch to plant, but you won't get any vehicles in your yard.
On 2 Mar 2004 06:16:33 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Don) wrote:

My pasture fence borders a state highway. A county road tee's into it on the opposite side. In a four month period, six vehicles ran the stop sign and ran through my fence. Some just cut a donut in the pasture and ran through the fence again on the way out. I had spent about $2000 repairing fence.
I'm gonna draw you a picture. A yard rake 20 feet wide with 8" tines 8 inches apart and 2 ten foot handles. All made of 1" rebar. I place this in the fence line with the tines horizontal and pointing out toward the road. With the handles against the inside of the wire, when the wire is pushed inward, the handles go horizontal and the tines go vertical.
They still tore up my fence but they didn't drive off. Then I tag them for the fence damage and make them pay to repair my water gap (hee,hee) they knocked down.
I finally got the state to place a double caution arrow there but I placed the mountain of dirt from the septic tank (three 1000 gal tanks) hole just inside the fence as backup.